Sunday, March 29, 2009

Creamy Chicken Apple Chili in Individual Whole Wheat Bread Bowls

I made this chicken chili late last summer and was impressed by how great it was. As a child Andy enjoyed eating soups out of bread bowls, so I granted his wish today. I found a recipe for easy bread bowls using pizza dough. I pulled one of my homemade whole wheat pizza balls out of the freezer and to thaw over night.

The bread bowls turned out quite a bit smaller than I anticipated and though cooked through were a bit doughy. The meal was still enjoyable (and I conclude once again that this soup is a keeper); however, I’ll be looking for a new bread bowl recipe this for this fall.

foodblog 007

See my previous post for the Creamy Chicken Apple Chili recipe.

Individual Whole Wheat Bread Balls

foodblog 005

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

Divide dough into 4 equal portions (or 2 if you want larger bowls) and roll each portion into a ball.

foodblog 001

Place balls on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15–20 minutes. Remove from oven and when cool enough to handle, cut a small portion from the top of each ball (reserve cut-out piece for another use). Press in the center, making room for the chili. Spoon chili into the bread bowls and top with desired toppings.

Original Bread Bowls recipe courtesy of Robin Miller

“Hello” from Finley – aka cutest beagle ever!

foodblog 011

1 Jessica Blog signature

2 comments:

Leah @ simply fabulous said...

You are so ambitious when it comes to cooking! I love it!! I will have to try that chili.. it looks so yummy! My fiancé would love for you to cook for him I bet! haha.. definitely beats the sandwiches & fries we had tonight lol!

Kelsey Locke said...

HELLO FINELY!!!