Friday, March 13, 2009

Irish Beef Hand Pies

foodblog 018

This is my second Irish meal of the week, this one with totally different flavors than the Irish Corned-Beef and Cabbage Pizza, but just as satisfyingly good!  Where does my love for Irish food come from? I think it’s partially my Irish heritage from my paternal grandmother’s side of the family (she was from the Tanner family line) but it’s also greatly due to 15 days I got to spend traveling across Ireland for a college study-abroad coarse on Irish Literature.

Project1c

Project1b

Project1a

Back to the Irish Beef Hand Pies, I read online from other cooks that these were a bit bland so I tweaked the recipe by being sure to properly season the dish every time I added a new layer of flavor.  I also doubled the Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and tomato paste and added dijion mustard.  Lastly, I made it healthier by using whole wheat pizza dough instead of pie crust.  Andy and I had no complaints on this dish and are looking really forward to tomorrow’s leftovers!

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded
  • 1/2 pound red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
  • 1 pound ground beef sirloin
  • 4 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dijion mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 rounds of whole wheat pizza dough
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium; add cabbage and potatoes. Cook until beginning to brown, 7 to 9 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.  Add beef; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. foodblog 005
  2. Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire, mustard, thyme, and 1 cup water, pinch more salt and pepper. Cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Lightly mash mixture with a fork. Let cool completely.
  3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll each dough round into a 14-inch square; cut each into 4 equal squares. Place 1/2 cup filling on one half of each square, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the filling. Brush borders with water; fold dough over filling to enclose. Crimp edges with a fork to seal. With a paring knife or scissors, cut 1 small vent in each.foodblog 007
  4. Transfer pies to a rimmed baking sheets; bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.foodblog 017
  5. To Freeze: Prepare through step 2. Arrange unbaked pies on a baking sheet (they should not touch); freeze until firm, about 1 hour. Wrap each pie in foil. Place in a resealable plastic bag; freeze up to 2 months.
  6. To Bake from Frozen: Proceed with step 3, increasing baking time to 28 to 30 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food Magazine

Durham Bull Pen recently posted this 10 minute introductory video about our city of Durham.  I agree it’s "”good stuff”.

1 Jessica Blog signature

5 comments:

simplyfabulousnow said...

BEAUTIFUL photos!!!!

Steph said...

i think i am going to post a facebook badge on my site. i don't know why, haha. but anyways, i befriended you cause.. why not? haha

kels said...

if I ate beef I would totally love this!.. perhaps soy crumbles!

Not Another Omnivore said...

Great pics! I traveled around Ireland for two weeks this Summer with a friend and absolutely loved it!

NAOmni

Amy said...

Ooh, I'm trying this recipe this week too! I cooked up the filling yesterday, threw it in the fridge and am making the pies on Tuesday. Glad of the tip to season more... maybe I can stir a little something extra in before I bake them.