Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pasta with Chickpea-Marinara Sauce

I’ve been craving chickpeas, lentils, rice pilafs, couscous, bulgur wheat – really simple and earthy type foods recently. Last week I had lunch with a friend at a Venus Mediterranean Grille and when I read the description for Kusherie I was sold! “Mixed rice, lentils and elbow pasta topped with caramelized onions and sauce (served hot).” I plan on recreating this dish soon!

I had this recipe in a stack to make in a few weeks, but it promptly got moved to this weeks Menu Plan when my cravings became too persistent to deny.

foodblog 017

  • 3 cups Homemade Spicy Marinara Sauce (or 1 Tbsp grape seed oil, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp red-pepper flakes, 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium broth, fresh torn basil)
  • 3 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 12 oz medium pasta,shells, penne or rotini
  • grated parmesan
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, season with salt and cook for 5 mins. Add tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until sauce has slightly, 20 minutes. Add basil and cook 5 minutes more.
  2. While sauce is cooking, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente, drain pasta and return to pot.
  3. Add sauce to pasta and toss. Serve with parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of Everyday Food Magazine

I served the pasta with a side of roasted green beans tossed with grainy mustard. Thanks Leah for the mustard idea!

foodblog 020

Finally, I got my purse in the mail yesterday that I purchased from Etsy!!! I absolutely love it and it looks even nicer in person.

foodblog 001 foodblog 006

1 Jessica Blog signature

3 comments:

Not Another Omnivore said...

I felt sooo behind when I found out about Etsy. So behind.

And I'm loving how many recipes are circling the blogs right now with chickpeas in them!

NAOmni

AppleC said...

Spicy Marina - Yum.
Love the bag.

Sharon said...

Scrumptious recipe! And oh wow, that bag is sooo adorable!!!