These provided a wonderful morning aroma to wake-up to. I also loved the spices and the amount of rise they had from the baking powder; there was plenty of room for the syrup to seep down inside of them for that “perfect bite” effect.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Syrup, whipped cream or fresh fruits for topping, to pass at table
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy; then beat in pumpkin, milk, and melted butter.
- Add in flours, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Stir until just moist. Do not over stir the waffle batter.
- Spray the waffle iron and cook waffles in batches. Keep warm in the oven at 200 degrees.
Yields: 8 waffles at 280 calories each