Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pumpkin Gingerbread Waffles

These provided a wonderful morning aroma to wake-up to. I also loved the spices and the amount of rise they had from the baking powder; there was plenty of room for the syrup to seep down inside of them for that “perfect bite” effect. 

foodblog 019

  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter
  • Syrup, whipped cream or fresh fruits for topping, to pass at table
  1. Preheat waffle iron.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy; then beat in pumpkin, milk, and melted butter.
  3. Add in flours, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Stir until just moist. Do not over stir the waffle batter. foodblog 010
  4. Spray the waffle iron and cook waffles in batches. Keep warm in the oven at 200 degrees.

foodblog 012 foodblog 014

Yields: 8 waffles at 280 calories each

Recipe adapted from Rookie Cookie

foodblog 017

**What did I do with those extra egg yolks?  The dogs each got one a piece for their shiny coats…as well did I.  Before my morning shower, I smeared an egg yolk (works with egg whites too) on my face and let it dry for 10 minutes. You wouldn’t believe how much this tightens up your skin. I took a photo, but I’m not brave enough to share my yellow face online.  I try to do these egg protein masks about once a month.

1 Jessica Blog signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious ;)

Anonymous said...

We had pumpkin pancakes on our honeymoon and they were yummy! I bet these waffles were delish! :)

Kelly