Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Slow Cooker Sausage Lasagna

I love how the slow cooker creates a real depth of flavor. This was super easy to prepare, once the meat mixture is browned it's basically a dump and layer recipe. After the dish has fully cooked, the slow cooker gets unplugged and you allow the top layer of cheese to melt and the dish to fully set for 15 minutes before serving (great tip).

I served this for Andy's parents and grand-parents (who are in town visiting for a couple days) and we all loved it! The dish got great reviews for it's full flavor and it being such an easy family meal. Next time, I think some oregano and/or italian seasoning would be a nice addition.

foodblog 007

  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 1 pound ground beef sirloin
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, finely chopped (I added 1 chopped bell pepper too)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
  • 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
  • 9 lasagna noodles
  • 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
  1. In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, cook sausage and beef over medium-high, breaking up meat, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion has softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, then tomatoes; bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
  2. Spoon 2 cups meat mixture into bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Layer 3 noodles (breaking them as needed to fit), 2 cups meat mixture, and 1/2 cup cheese; repeat with two more layers (refrigerate 1/2 cup cheese for topping). foodblog 012 foodblog 013
  3. Cover slow cooker, and cook on low, 7-8 hours. Sprinkle lasagna with 1/2 cup cheese. Unplug slow cooker, but keep covered until cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Everyday Food Magazine

Served with roasted broccoli and carrots (olive oil, salt and pepper - baked at 375 degrees for 20 minutes) and slices of warm bread, not shown.

foodblog 004

Simple family set-up in the dining room, that we seem to never use enough.

foodblog 003

1 Jessica Blog signature

9 comments:

Leah said...

Amazing meal! I can't wait to try it. Sans cheese me thinks! Seriously looks great. Your dining room is so nice as well!!

Not Another Omnivore said...

That broccoli looks great!

NAOmni

nick said...

I would've never thought to cook lasagna in a slow cooker, but now that I think about (and see your results) it makes perfect sense.

Like the china cabinet, though I do look longingly at any dining room as we eat on stools at a breakfast bar and if we have anyone over, someone has to eat standing up. :(

Aggie said...

I've been wanting to make a lasagna type meal in the crock pot, this looks great!! Thanks for the sharing the recipe!

thechiclife said...

Sounds so simply and good! :)

hot garlic said...

Hey Jessica, so sweet. I'm glad you like my stories and what a nice comment. The girl makes me laugh, what can I say?

Sorry it's been so long, things have been crazy here with no sign of slowing down. I swear I haven't been myself since October before our trip home and moving!

Anyway, nice to hear from you!

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog!
♥ Hugs :

Durham Bull Pen said...

I'm so trying that! Looks super yummy. Thanks for blogging it.

DBP

Amateur Cook said...

"a dump and layer recipe".

I like the sound of that. Such great taste from so little effort I'm sure!