Earth Hour - Reminder
At 8:30 PM (your local time) tonight join millions of people around the planet to support the stop of global climate change.
For more simple Earth friendly tips subscribe to Ideal Bite
I’ve wanted to try making crepes for a couple of years now, but I always thought I needed to allot several hours to figuring them out…today I learned this is NOT so!! The batter whipped up in a matter of seconds and using a non-stick pan on medium heat created the perfect crepe in mere minutes!! I didn’t have one single crepe “act up” on me. Andy raved about these and we discussed making these for guests at our next opportunity. Any takers? :-)
- 1 batch whole wheat crepes, premade (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 4 oz artichoke hearts, chopped
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onion and sauté until just starting to caramelize, about 5-9 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and artichokes, sauté 2-3 minutes. Melt in cream cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Place some of the artichoke and spinach mixture into a crepe, fold into quarters (triangular shaped).
We drizzled ours with a sweet Asian sauce we had recently purchased and served along side a romaine, peanut, dried cranberry, broken cracker salad with more Asian sauce as a dressing.
Recipes adapted from Closet Cooking
Whole Wheat Crepes with Flax
(Makes 4-5 crepes)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed, optional
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Mix everything in a large bowl.
- Pour 1/4 cup ladle of the mixture into a lightly buttered pan heated at medium.
- Tilt the pan and turn so that the mixture evenly coats the entire bottom of the pan.
- Cook the crepe until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook the other side until golden brown.
I’m looking forward to dessert tonight where the crepes will be making their second appearance of the day!