Wednesday, April 22, 2009

CEiMB: Balsamic Bay Scallops with Baby Spinach and Couscous

I’ve had a scallop and spinach dish on my food calendar for awhile now…when I saw that our host Culinary Delights had chosen this dish I knew I’d marry the two ideas. I’m in a HUGE “use up and clean out the freezer” mode in preparation for the anticipated fresh summer finds. Tonight, I was able to rid the freezer of scallops, some homemade chicken stock, and diced fresh tomatoes. I also used up the last of our goat cheese and green and red leaf lettuce (just in time for our next CSA delivery on Thursday).

It turned out to be a nice dish full of crunch from the lettuce, tenderness from the scallops, and a nice filling base from the couscous.

foodblog 044

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 pound bay scallops
  • 4 cups red and green leaf lettuce, wilted
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup low-sodium canned chopped tomatoes with juice
  • 2 cups whole wheat couscous, cooked

I added the following:

  • 2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1 Tbsp grill seasoning blend
  • 3 ounces goat cheese

Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the scallops and cook about 2 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove and set aside.

foodblog 031

To the same pan, add the greens and cook until warmed through. Remove from the pan and set aside.

foodblog 034

Lower the heat to medium and add the balsamic vinegar and chicken broth to the pan and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any browned bits. Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook 3 to 5 minutes.

Place the couscous in a serving bowl. Top with the spinach, scallops and balsamic-tomato sauce.

foodblog 043

Recipe adapted from Ellie Krieger

1 Jessica Blog signature

15 comments:

Kelsey said...

If I had scallops in my freezer I would make this tonight!! Where did you get your scallops from?.. I love PUBLIX scallops -- but no publix in the NC :(

Jessica said...

I got them at our beloved trader joe's! Have you tried their's?

Aggie said...

Great way to improvise! I love "using it up" and making new creations! Looks delicious

Marthe said...

Yum, I love goats cheese!! Thanks for cooking with me last week

applecrumbles said...

Interesting substitute. I love scallops. Looks great.

Leslie said...

I love your desire to clean out the freezer and rethink the recipe! I need to do that! I just joined a CSA a few weeks ago and it is a challenge to eat everything.

Sara said...

Wow, great adaptation of the recipe. I love scallops!

Jen said...

Great substitutions to the recipe! While this was a quick and easy dinner, I thought it was really lacking in the flavor department.

Cathy said...

Way to clean out that freezer - yours looks great! I was thinking that I would have enjoyed this more with fresh tomatoes. Next time! The scallops had to be fantastic in this.

Leah @ Simply Fabulous said...

I linked back to you today about menu planning! Thanks for the strategy!

sarah said...

looks great! i LOVE scallops.

leanne said...

Wow that looks great. What a great way to make a dish even better than the original recipe.

nick said...

Scallops in the freezer - never even crossed my mind. Nice adaptation.

Some people found the dish to be a bit bland. I can see where they are coming from (though ours turned out flavorful in part due to my secret homemade chicken stock and extra tomatoes) but I could see how some goat cheese would really punch this dish up. Now all I need is for you to take the 5 hour drive up here and sit Sara down for some one on one discussion about how great goat cheese is. God knows, she won't listen to me!

AJM said...

Goat cheese! Yes!! Good idea with the scallops. Boneless, skinless chicken breast can get old after a while.

Pamela said...

Looks great! What a great choice of ingredients, too.