Wednesday, April 8, 2009

CeiMB - Salmon with Sweet & Spicy Rub

This week we were hosted by Lobsters & Fishsticks, kudos to her for a fabulous recipe choice! I loved the sweet brown sugar and the just ever so spicy chili powder in the rub. The salmon was served with kusherie (see below). I’ll be turning the leftover salmon fillets into salmon cakes tomorrow night, I love having extra salmon to play with!

foodblog 033

Serves 6

  • Cooking Spray
  • 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skin and any pin bones removed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

Coat your grill or a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat. While the grill is heating, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Brush each salmon fillet with 1/2 teaspoon of the oil, then rub each fillet with about 1/2 tablespoon of the spice mixture.

foodblog 025

Grill the salmon, flesh side down, until charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the salmon and cook another 5 to 6 minutes for medium doneness. For well done fish, cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to a platter and serve immediately.

foodblog 030

Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

Kusherie

I mentioned last week that I enjoyed ordering kusherie at a Mediterranean grille in Durham (it's a mix of rice, lentils and pasta topped with marinara sauce). When planning tonight's meal I thought this would be a nice compliment to the salmon. This is so good I almost feel like it’s a secret recipe that I was lucky to stumble upon.

Rice and Lentils

  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 1/4 cups lentils
  • 3 cups boiling water (or stock)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 dash pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups rice
  • 1 cup boiling water (or stock)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Sauce

(I used Trader Joe’s jarred marinara sauce)

  • 3/4 cup tomato paste
  • 3 cups tomato juice (or tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes)
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery leaves, chopped
  1. In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, brown lentils in 2 Tbsp oil, about 5 minutes, stirring often.

  2. Add the 3 cups boiling stock and the salt and pepper.

  3. Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.

  4. Stir in the rice and 1 cup stock.

  5. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes without stirring. Add in seasonings.

  6. Meanwhile make sauce: Heat all the sauce ingredients together in a medium saucepan.

  7. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.

  8. To serve, put rice lentil mixture on a platter, pour tomato sauce over the top.

I used the recipe from “More with Less” , it’s also found on RecipeZaar.

1 Jessica Blog signature

9 comments:

Sweetie Pie said...

The salmon looks great, and I can only imagine how good it will be when you transform the leftovers tomorrow. Yum! The kusherie sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for posting about it!

Marthe said...

Yum, looks really delicious!

Pamela said...

The salmon looks like it came out great. I really enjoyed the rub and will definitely be having it again.

AppleC said...

I always make sure we have left over salmon as well. It's a favorite in our house.

Cathy said...

It looks great -- love it with the kusherie, and LOVE your idea of making salmon cakes with the leftovers!

Aggie said...

I love having leftover salmon to play with too...yours looks so delicious and I am interested to try those lentils!

Sara said...

Looks great, as usual. An that side dish does sound good. I will try anything with pasta in it, so I'll bookmark that one.

leanne said...

Your salmon and kusherie look great. I like salmon cakes better than salmon alone. Wish I would have bought extra for cakes

Kevin said...

That look like a tasty salmon meal!