Monday, April 27, 2009

The Ditch Dog and Classic Coleslaw with Caraway

I had such a wonderful day today! I stopped by WIne Authorities (to pick up a bottle of rose, which is new style of wine for me to try; a 6-pack of Bell’s Oberon, my favorite beer; and a Mothership Wit, New Belgium organic wheat beer. While there Seth was so generous and placed some $ on my Enomatic Machine card for all the customers I try my best to send there way!! How cool is that!? I just love the vibe and friendliness of their shop.

Also, one of my co-worker’s brought me a decorative wooden meat tenderizer and mortal and pestle from a Mexican Festival she attended (so sweet), I was told I that I look like Charlize Theron

Charlize Theron

(which is always nice, whether I truly do or not), I received several nice and appreciative blog comments today, and when I came home I was welcomed by two birthday packages!! Since my birthday is a little later this week, I’m NOT going to open these quite yet. It’s more exciting to think about them for a few days anyway!

foodblog 056

The Ditch Dog

Yep, a hot dog of your choice topped with a creamy mac-n-cheese of your choice! I don't think food could get much better than this.

foodblog 064

  • 2 feta and spinach chicken sausages, heated
  • 2 hot dog buns or 4 small rolls, warmed
  • 1/2 cup leftover mac-n-cheese, heated
Inspired by this recipe on Martha Stewart

At the grocery today, I found two huge bunches of tulips marked down for $1 a piece (which is yet another reason my day was so good)!!

foodblog 061

Classic Coleslaw with Caraway

foodblog 068

  • 1/2 cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt, or 2/3 cup regular plain nonfat yogurt
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (16-ounce) bag shredded coleslaw mix
  • 2 teaspoons caraway seeds

If using regular yogurt, place it in a strainer lined with a paper towel and set the strainer over a bowl. Let the yogurt drain and thicken for 20 minutes.

foodblog 055

In a large bowl whisk together the Greek or stained yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Add coleslaw mix and caraway seeds and toss to coat.

The dogs “thought” they wanted some of the cabbage…don’t worry they didn’t one single bite of it.

foodblog 050

Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

1 Jessica Blog signature

2 comments:

robinbb said...

Yes me again, just giving you another compliment, I am not weird I promise, but am so excited to be learning as much as I am from your site. I made your black bean burgers tonight and they were DELICIOUS! My husband ate almost the entire batch himself and my 4 year old ate more than me. Thank you for all your information on here!

Jessica said...

Robin, I love your feedback and am so glad you're trying some of my posted recipes. We make HUGE batches of the black bean burgers, and agree a veggie burger can't get any better than these!