Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ground Bison Paprikash and Macaroni

To start my day we had a tenant appreciation breakfast with free Dunkin' Donuts coffee and donuts! I brought my own mug down and filled it to the brim with fresh, hot coffee - something that's become a real treasure with our new pre-bagged refrigerated nasty liquid stuff. I resisted the donuts, since my favorite kind wasn't provided - vanilla sprinkle!

But this afternoon I had fun stopping into Ben & Jerry's for Free Cone Day! My 10 minute wait in line was so worth it when I bit into a Peanut Butter Cookie Dough ice cream in a Waffle Cone - killer good! I made a quick stop at the grocery and then headed over to Dunkin' Donuts for their 50 cent Iced Coffee Day where I got a Nonfat Hazelnut Iced Coffee.

Dinner was so good that I noticed myself happily shaking my foot while eating this :-) I would describe this as a cross between a creamy goulash and beef stroganoff. I served the pasta with another side salad of green and red leaf lettuce topped with goat cheese and dried cranberries.

foodblog 039

I got these roses marked down for $2 today, gotta love that!

foodblog 032

  • 6 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 pound ground bison or lean white turkey
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock or pasta water
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2-3 green onions, chopped

Bring a pot of water to boil for pasta. When it comes to a boil, add pasta and salt to season the cooking water. Cook pasta 10 minutes to al dente.

While water comes to a boil and pasta cooks, heat a deep skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil then ground meat. Break up meat and crumble, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, onions, red bell peppers and seasonings to the turkey.

foodblog 025

Cook 5 or 6 minutes then add chicken stock and sour cream to the pan. Bring to a bubble and reduce heat to low. Add cooked pasta and stir. Let pasta absorb some sauce, a minute or so. Adjust seasonings and serve. Garnish the prepared dish with chopped spring onions or parsley.

Recipe courtesy of 30 Minute Meals

foodblog 044

foodblog 035

I’m off to do a little yoga and then watch a few recorded shows of Emeril Green and 30 Minute Meals.

1 Jessica Blog signature

6 comments:

Leah @ Simply Fabulous said...

Beautiful flowers!

Nice dinner!

Btw, thanks for the comment you left for Ange over om my blog... i'll be featuring it in a post if you don't mind! I like your meal planning strategies and think others could benefit so just incase people don't read the comments i'll repost your suggestions!

Heidi said...

This looks great. I have never eaten Bison before (or saw it at the store for that matter). Does it taste like beef?

Jessica said...

The bison does taste like beef, and it's naturally leaner.

burpandslurp said...

a cross between goulash and stroganoff! that sure caught my attention! lovely!
btw, where can I find ground bison?

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, this dish looks amazing, I havent had bison, wonder if you could sub ground beef? Your roses are gorgeous, what a steal. First time visiting, love your blog.

Jessica said...

I purchased the ground bison at Kroger (ask at the meat counter if you have trouble finding it). You can certainly use any other ground meat - turkey, beef, chicken, etc