Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pizz-O and Homemade “Pizza Hut” Breadsticks

Saturday Night Recap: After a trip to Home Depot and Stone Brother’s and Byrd Garden Shop we decided to have the leftover homemade mac-n-cheese. Andy spread 8 bags of mulch and I planted our two front door pots with edible plants, along with sage and thyme in the herb garden out back. Wow, it was HOT out today, 89 degrees!! After showers, a chilled glass of white zinfandel was calling my name…and that’s when the leftovers started looking more and more like a better option over the pizza and breadsticks I had yet to prepare.

Last weekend, on my four plane rides, I had the opportunity to flip through several magazines. I was inspired by a fresh herb and tea article in April’s Body and Soul magazine. While I’ve always had an herb garden, this summer I decided to plant our all of our outdoor pots with edible plants too. I purchased sorrel (tart and lemony lettuce), lemon balm, and chamomile. The chamomile will bloom mid-summer and produce small daisy like flowers, it will also begin to spill and flow over the pot. I love the idea and the more I use these three plants the more they will grow and produce! I’m going to plant lavender in the pots in the backyard along the patio.

foodblog 056

Thyme and sage, I still have a few more herbs to replenish for this year: rosemary, oregano, dill and tarragon (Mom’s favorite).

foodblog 061

It looks like scattered showers next weekend, but we’re still hoping to get the vegetable garden dug and planted. I’m going to also put several plants of basil and parsley out there, since I can never have enough of those two herbs.

We loved being able to fit 10 bags of mulch and 5 bags of organic compost into the bag of our new car.

foodblog 050

AND this morning at church I was SO pleased to hear that one of the CYF fundraisers for this year was selling heirloom tomato plants – score! (I also love that they’ve been selling CFL light bulbs!! I purchased 5 tomato plants (click on the name for pictures of each): cherokee purple, consoluto genevese, consoluto fiorentina, little julia, and golden currant.

foodblog 097

Pizza and breadsticks were on deck for lunch/dinner today…both of these turned out phenomenally. I was quite impressed with myself.

  • 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil  
  • 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped into chunky pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese, room temperature for easy spreading
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, 4-5 sprigs, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup fresh store-bought pesto
  • 1 cup grated smoked mozzarella
  • 1 ball fresh whole wheat pizza dough
  • 3 slices prosciutto
  • Cornmeal, to sprinkle on the pizza pan

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Heat a skillet with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the garlic and mushrooms (I also added spring onions).

foodblog 064

Once the mushrooms have wilted and turned deep brown in color, stir in the roasted red peppers. Set aside until it is time to assemble the pizza.

foodblog 068
In a bowl combine the ricotta, lemon zest, thyme, 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Reserve.

foodblog 069

To assemble the pizza, sprinkle a round pizza pan with cornmeal. This will keep your pizza from sticking when it is cooking and help it slide off the pan when it is done. Roll out the pizza dough in a circle on the pizza stone.

foodblog 073

Spread the pesto out across the rolled-out dough, using the back of a spoon to get it everywhere. Top the pesto with the sliced prosciutto, then spread the ricotta mixture over it.

foodblog 076

Add the reserved mushroom mixture to the center, leaving about a 11/2-inch border around the pie. Top with the mozzarella and fold the topping-free edge over until it meets the mushrooms. Keep the pizza round by pleating the edge as you work your way around the pie.

foodblog 078

Brush crust with some EVOO for a beautiful golden brown color. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven, slice and enjoy! DELISH!

foodblog 092

Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

Homemade “Pizza Hut” Whole Wheat Breadsticks

foodblog 087

  • 1 ½ cup hot water
  • 2 Tb sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup non fat dry milk
  • 1 Tb yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups ap flour
  • 1/3 cup melted Smart Balance butter
  • Parmesan and desired seasonings
  1. Dissolve sugar, salt and dry milk in hot water. Add enough flour (~1 cup) to make a soupy mixture. When the mixture is no longer hot but still warm add the yeast and stir well.
  2. Add the rest of the flour, enough to form a moderately stiff dough. foodblog 057
  3. Knead the dough until smooth. foodblog 058
  4. Roll dough into a rectangular shape the size of your baking pan. Spread half of the butter onto the baking pan, then place your dough into the pan and spread the remaining butter on top of the dough. Top the breadsticks with garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, seasoning salt, or other desired seasonings. foodblog 066
  5. Cut the dough into breadsticks with a pizza cutter and let rise for 10-15 min. Bake at 350 degrees for 20- 25 min. foodblog 088
Recipe courtesy of Real Mom Kitchen

Andy’s plate while watching Star Trek

foodblog 104

Mine dining el fresco

foodblog 107

Where I plan to spend most of my afternoon…

foodblog 098

1 Jessica Blog signature

3 comments:

Aggie said...

Love love love all your new plants!! And that pizza and breadsticks look awesome! I'm totally going to try those breadsticks soon!!

thenotsoskinnykitchen said...

Those breadsticks do look yummy! And your little garden makes me so jealous - I don't have anything close to a green thumb LOL I killed the Chia herb garden my mom gave me :(

from my motorhome to yours said...

love the pizza and bread sticks, I make a spring form pan pizza