Sunday, April 5, 2009

Slow Cooker Rosemary and Garlic Chicken

Before heading out for brunch I started up the slow cooker with:

  • 5.5 lb whole chicken (I paid $5.50 for it)

Sprinkled with

  • garlic powder
  • dried rosemary
  • salt and pepper

foodblog 025

It’s cooked on high for 1 hour and then I reduced the temp to low for 7 hours.

 foodblog 050

Finished product, cooling.

foodblog 052 

I pulled all the skin off and discarded it, shredded the meat (totaled two pounds) and saved the carcass to make Slow Cooker Chicken Stock tomorrow.  The juice at the bottom of the container totaled 2 cups, I separated the fat and added 2 cups water to it. So I got a total 4 cups stock today (portioned in 2-cup portions and froze).

foodblog 057

Brunch

This morning our friends invited us out for brunch, and we ended up at one of my favorite restaurants Watt’s Grocery. There menu changes seasonally and they always have a fabulous brunch offering.

We started off with a “Watts Blood Orange Mimosa” and though the “Banana Caramel Stuffed French Toast” sounded divine…I had the “Watts Breakfast” —two local and free range eggs, choice of House-made Bacon, Patty Sausage or Ham; grits or hash brown potatoes, served with a House-made biscuit or English muffin with butter and jam. I went with scrambled eggs, ham, grits, and a English muffin. Andy ordered the “Huevos Rancheros” -local corn tortillas topped with red beans, sliced avocado, two fried eggs, queso fresco and salsa fresca. It was all so good!

Of course friendship is the best part, we enjoyed catching up with them (their little 10 1/2 month old is walking already, so cute)!  We talked about gathering again soon for some birthday celebrations and biking the American Tobacco Trail while the weather is still nice.

I’ve exhausted myself out tonight, I’m planning to zone out the rest of the evening.

1 Jessica Blog signature

No comments: