Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tempeh Reuben & with Three Grain Pilaf

A sandwich that tastes this good shouldn’t be this easy…

These are fabulous!! The nutty tempeh texture goes perfectly on a Reuben. We really enjoyed this sandwich, I’d easily say this is a must try and I plan for this to become a regular in our house.

foodblog 033

I ate mine open faced.

foodblog 026

Tempeh Reuben’s

  • oven broiled rye bread, both sides (spread with smart balance)
  • tempeh (marinated at room temp in Worcestershire sauce while prepping other ingredients)
  • sauerkraut at room temp, sprinkled with caraway seeds
  • Swiss cheese slices
  • Russian Dressing (3 Tbsp Greek yogurt, 3 Tbsp ketchup, 1 tsp capers, 1 tsp relish)
  • dill pickle spear, on the side

foodblog 012 foodblog 016

foodblog 018

Assemble, broil until golden brown and devour!

foodblog 029

Three Grain Pilaf

foodblog 010

  • 1/2 cup wild rice
  • 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
  • 1/2 cup wheat berries
  • 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
  • 3 3/4 cups water
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar or lime juice
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Place grains in medium saucepan along with water. Bring to a boil, add salt and then reduce to a simmer for 40 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Add is remaining seasonings and add additional salt if desired.

foodblog 033

foodblog 009

1 Jessica Blog signature

4 comments:

KLM said...

Oh Jessica-- this has been added to my recipe box!! I just bought some tempeh + capers today-- It must be fate!!

Kath said...

Those do look delicious!!! Love me some tempeh :)

Did you get my gazelle email?

luckytastebuds said...

Hi there!
I just found your awesome blog through Kath’s blog roll and I’m loving your pictures, your food creations, and your writing!! You are SO creative with your food it's definitely inspiring me! Definitely want to give tempeh a try!! :)

P.s. If you like Zoe’s granola, please do come visit me at http://luckytastebuds.wordpress.com, I’m hosting a giveaway!

Leah @ Simply Fabulous Now said...

Oh my that looks so great!! Saving this recipe in my bookmarks! Thanks for leaving me the link in my blog girl!!