Wednesday, May 13, 2009

CeiMB - Jerk Chicken with Cool Pineapple Salsa

Fabulous new review and photos of Durham here and here!! After reading both of these blog posts I'm blown away, yet again, by the awesome city that I am so fortunate to be living in!! And there are several new shops, and even a few restaurants, that I'll be making a trip to soon!

This week for CEiMB we were hosted by Notes from the Table. I enjoyed the fresh mint, pineapple and lime juice components from the cool salsa. The chicken and peppers were flavorful too. The dish was good, but left me hungry and craving something more…especially some sort of grain. I suggest serving this on a bed of basmati brown rice. To get my grain "fix in a flash", I ate a mini whole wheat bagel with brown sugar and cinnamon immediately after…

foodblog 009

For the salsa:
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus lime zest
  • 1 cup finely diced pineapple
  • 1/3 cup finely diced, seeded English cucumber – (Yuck! I left these out!)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
For the chicken:
  • 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 cup chopped scallions (about 6)
  • 1 chipotle chili in adobe sauce, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice

For the salsa:

In a small bowl whisk together the honey and the lime juice. Combine the pineapple, cucumber and mint in a medium bowl, pour the dressing over and toss to combine. Set aside.

foodblog 002

For the chicken:

foodblog 013

Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan. Stir in the scallions, pepper, garlic, ginger, allspice, and thyme. Cook for 30 seconds over a medium heat. Add the chicken broth and soy sauce and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Put the chicken back in the pan and coat well with the sauce.

Serve with the pineapple salsa.

Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

1 Jessica Blog signature

7 comments:

nick said...

"I ate a mini whole wheat bagel with brown sugar and cinnamon immediately after…"

Hahaha this made me LOL!

MacDuff said...

This WAS too little...I needed some grain too. Glad you liked it, though. I dug the mint!

Danko Family said...

Yum yum...this sounds like my family would love it! I'm always looking for something different to do with chicken.

Geoff said...

Great pictures!

mmm. Now I'm craving a cinnamon-sugar bagel!

Sara said...

Not a cucumber fan, huh? I also really hated cucumbers until very recently. I agree that this needed a nice bulky side dish.

applecrumbles said...

Looks great! I wish you hadn't mentioned the bagel...love them TOO much for my own good.

leanne said...

"I ate a mini whole wheat bagel with brown sugar and cinnamon immediately after…" - I finished with some SMARTFOOD Chocolate Cookie Caramel Pecan Popcorn Clusters.