I dropped Andy off at the airport this morning, he’s headed to Chicago to be a groomsmen for one of his friends. It’s a quick trip where he’ll be back home Sunday afternoon, similar to my wedding trip last month.
That leaves me with a wide open weekend to myself *smile*! I planned an easy supper and comforting dessert to enjoy while finishing “Tale of Despereaux” or I might start “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”. I did most of the house work already tonight and even repotted a few plants.
Grilled Cheese with Mango Chutney
Holy yum, this is good! My taste buds are in heaven with this simple yet complex twist off flavors on a comfort food classic!
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
2 slices cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon mango chutney
1. Assemble the sandwich and grill until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Recipe courtesy of Closet Cooking
Rhubarb Muffin Tops
This muffin top has the perfect balance of sweet and tart. I thought about reducing the sugar more, but so glad I didn’t. Mom and Sara, I’m placing a few of these bad boys in the freezer for your visit – these would make a great road trip home breakfast/treat!!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) cooked rhubarb*
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
*Cook 2 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb over medium heat to make about 1 1/4 cups unsweetened rhubarb sauce (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Stir in rhubarb and apple sauce.
- Sift together flours, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet, stir until blended (batter may be lumpy).
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges and tops begin to brown. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet.
The Grinch will be keeping me warm tonight…