Friday, May 15, 2009

Grilled Cheese with Mango Chutney and Rhubarb Muffin Tops

See below for my In-Season Recipe Swap submission, Rhubarb Muffin Tops!

I dropped Andy off at the airport this morning, he’s headed to Chicago to be a groomsmen for one of his friends. It’s a quick trip where he’ll be back home Sunday afternoon, similar to my wedding trip last month.


That leaves me with a wide open weekend to myself *smile*! I planned an easy supper and comforting dessert to enjoy while finishing “Tale of Despereaux” or I might start “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”. I did most of the house work already tonight and even repotted a few plants.


Grilled Cheese with Mango Chutney


Holy yum, this is good! My taste buds are in heaven with this simple yet complex twist off flavors on a comfort food classic!


foodblog 022


2 slices whole wheat bread
1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
2 slices cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon mango chutney


1. Assemble the sandwich and grill until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.


foodblog 016 foodblog 018


Recipe courtesy of Closet Cooking

Rhubarb Muffin Tops


This muffin top has the perfect balance of sweet and tart. I thought about reducing the sugar more, but so glad I didn’t. Mom and Sara, I’m placing a few of these bad boys in the freezer for your visit – these would make a great road trip home breakfast/treat!!


foodblog 032



  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

  • 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

  • 2 eggs

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 1 cup sugar

  • 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) cooked rhubarb*

  • 1/2 cup apple sauce


*Cook 2 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb over medium heat to make about 1 1/4 cups unsweetened rhubarb sauce (about 30 minutes).



  1. Preheat oven to 425ºF.

  2. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Stir in rhubarb and apple sauce. foodblog 001

  3. Sift together flours, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.

  4. Add dry ingredients to the wet, stir until blended (batter may be lumpy).

  5. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. foodblog 008

  6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges and tops begin to brown. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. foodblog 014

Recipe adapted from here and here

The Grinch will be keeping me warm tonight…


foodblog 029


1 Jessica Blog signature

3 comments:

Kevin said...

I really like that sweet, savoury, spicy and cheesy sandwich flavour combo! The muffin tops look great! I like using the tart rhubarb with sweet things. I am really looking forward to seeing rhubarb this year.

Steph (I am Bee) said...

i love mango and peanut butter sandwiches! you should try it! hehe

Tammy L said...

Thanks for sending me this link, Jessica! Would you mind adding a link back to the In-Season recipe swap? :) Thanks! :)