Thursday, May 21, 2009

Grilled! Pimento Cheese

I grew up on pimento cheese sandwiches, I can’t believe that I’ve had this blog for over two years and never posted the recipe!!  We have a great local shop in Durham, Parker & Otis, that makes “oh so good!” grilled pimento cheese sandwiches!  Kelsey and Kath have been blogging about pimento cheese as well the last couple of weeks.

foodblog034_thumb

I know!! Could it get any better?

foodblog033_thumb1

Classic ingredients on the left (mayo, chopped pimento, sharp cheddar cheese) my additions on the right (Greek yogurt, garlic, cayenne pepper).

foodblog001_thumb

  • 2 cups coarsely grated sharp yellow cheddar cheese – MUST BE FRESHLY GRATED

  • 1/2 cup finely chopped drained pimentos

  • 1 tablespoon pimento juice (from the jar)

  • 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (or cut with 2 tablespoons thick Greek yogurt)

  • 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper, optional

  • 1 garlic clove minced, optional

foodblog010_thumb

    Shred cheese. In a large bowl stir together cheese, mayo, chopped pimento and a little pimento juice. The spread can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill. Serve on whole wheat sandwich bread or dip with crackers or pretzels.

    1/4 cup = 120 calories

    foodblog018_thumb

    foodblog028_thumb

    1 Jessica Blog signature

    1 comment:

    Liz said...

    I've never had pimento cheese - which is odd since I live in the south - but this looks really good; I especially like the idea of it on a grilled cheese. I saw something on Food Network where they put it on a burger and that also looked good. Thanks for the recipe!