Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ham and Lentil Soup with Sandwich

Breakfast was whole milk European style yogurt, with strawberries and my custom made blend from Mix My Granola! (A chose a base of vanilla granola, with dried banana chips, papaya chunks, plums, almonds, sunflower seeds, ground flax, and mini chocolate chips and lots of love!)

foodblog 055

with 1% milk in coffee out on the patio.

foodblog 054

I tried to go light on lunch with a soup and sandwich, but it ended up filling me up more than I’d hoped. Tonight I’m meeting up with a fellow food blogger, Diana from Charlotte, at Six Plates Wine Bar!

I paired the soup with an Artichoke Marscapone Grilled Sandwich, I added cheddar this time!! Mmmm! 

foodblog 073

foodblog 071

Ham and Lentil Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion (chopped)
1 carrot (chopped)
2 stalks celery (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup lentils
2 cups ham (diced)
1 ham bone (optional)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon thyme
pepper to taste
1 bunch leafy greens such as spinach or Swiss chard (rinsed and trimmed)

foodblog 057

1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan.
2. Add the onions, carrot and celery and sauté until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, a few minutes. foodblog 061
4. Add the stock, lentils, ham, ham bone, oregano, bay leaf and thyme and simmer, covered on low heat for an hour.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach.

Recipe courtesy of Closet Cooking

Speaking of foodies…

  • check out this foodie movie trailer, a friend sent me, Julie and Julia – August 7th!

Durham just might be the “hot spot” this weekend…

foodblog 015

Someone wanted his picture taken too…he was doing all the hard work while I was doing food photography!

foodblog 049

1 Jessica Blog signature

No comments: