Sunday, May 31, 2009

Homemade Cranberry Granola

There isn’t much that I like more than homemade granola on top of yogurt. There are very few days which go by that I don’t enjoy a bowl. I’ve been using up store bought cereals recently and have really missed my granola blends.

foodblog 032

  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cranberry juice 
  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, combine the maple syrup and cranberry juice; microwave for 1 minute. Stir. foodblog 022

Add the oats, sunflower seeds, cinnamon and salt. Stir to coat. foodblog 025 Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. foodblog 028

Remove the baking sheet from the oven, stir and break apart any clumps. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the mixture begins to brown. Remove from oven and mix in dried cranberries. Cool completely. Store airtight in a plastic container for up to 1 week.

Recipe adapted from Giada at Home

___________________________________

Lunch/Dinner

I overate yesterday and haven’t been too hungry today. For breakfast I had plain Greek yogurt with black raspberries and granola. I just ate  lunch/dinner which was Baked Potato Skins with Avocado Cream and Jalapeno Bacon, similar to the recipe found here (you’ll need to scroll down). These are so good, with salty, crunchy potato skin and creamy filling.

foodblog 042

I will probably just have cinnamon toast later on tonight - I have leftover challah bread in the freezer from last weekend.

Garden Update

My lily finally bloomed today!! One day before my anniversary.

foodblog 013

I’m not sure what this is, but it’s a nice because it comes back year after year.

foodblog 017

The herb garden is really taking off, I’m surprised it’s grown so much so soon. (Click on photo to enlarge.)

foodblog 019

The vegetable garden is looking good too, it looks like I still have several weeks before I can harvest anything.

foodblog 021

1 Jessica Blog signature

2 comments:

thechiclife said...

I've been meaning to make granola for forever...yours looks tasty and I love almost everything Giada does, so I'm sure it's a winner! :) Diana

klm said...

those potato skins are brilliant!! Now that it is summer we need to plan a play date!!