Saturday, May 16, 2009

Honey Oat Biscuits

These have a perfect crunchy exterior and a slightly sweet interior…I’m thinking these would make divine shortcakes with some of my black raspberries and strawberries. Hmm, I even have vanilla ice cream in the freezer!

foodblog 008

Of course you could also go savory with these and serve alongside a stew or as a quick drop biscuit at breakfast time with sausage and eggs. You could add in fresh parsley or chives and cheddar cheese or even chopped lavender, lemon balm, mint or ground cinnamon to the shortcake idea. I can foresee this recipe lingering in my kitchen and making many more appearances in my life.

Honey Oat Biscuits

foodblog 009

  • 2 cups of rolled oats
  • 2 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups skim milk
  1. Preheat oven to 450*.
  2. Grind oats in food processor. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; pulse for 10 seconds.
  3. In separate bowl, dissolve the honey in the vegetable oil. Add 1 1/2 cups milk and whisk to combine; add more milk if necessary.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir with a fork until a soft dough forms.
  5. Drop biscuits on a greased cookie sheet. You should get 12-14 palm-sized biscuits.
  6. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Bella Eats

I enjoyed a wonderful dessert for dinner…

foodblog 003

with a warm mug of ginger tea.

foodblog 007

1 Jessica Blog signature

2 comments:

Diana said...

these look soooooooooooo yummy! :) you're making me want to do some baking tomorrow!

D

Spte (I am Bee) said...

i totally want those. now.

p.s. yeah, this is my third comment in the matter of 5 minutes. can you tell i haven't had time to do my blog reading? haha