Saturday, May 2, 2009

My 2-Year Blogiversary and Derby Day: Chocolate Walnut Pie, Kentucky Burgoo, and Mint Juleps

Last year on my blogiversary I was eating blueberry pancakes on my back porch; ugh, it makes me feel like I’m a little behind this year…so today I’ll be catching up!

But first, I wanted to mention that my Spicy Marinara Turkey Meat Sauce with Whole Wheat Pasta received 2nd Runner-up for “Best Photo” at this weeks Craving Ellie in My Belly (CEiMB). Sweet!

foodblog 070

@ 7:00 AM: I was baking, my favorite pie, a Chocolate Walnut Pie with a Whole Wheat No-Roll Pie Crust (I highly recommend this crust, it’s quick and it cuts nicely too!) Here it is going into the oven.

foodblog 057

Whole Wheat No-Roll Pie Crust

foodblog 055

  • 1 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 6 Tbsp canola oil
  • 3 tbsp. milk
  • 3 tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

In a 9 inch pie plate, sift flour, sugar and salt. make a well in the center and pour in oil and milk. Mix with a fork, then press into the bottom and sides of pie plate.

@ 8:00 AM: I was planting the new vegetable garden and replenishing the herb garden. We ran out of compost so we’ll be picking up more this weekend, but at least I got all the plants in.

Vegetable garden: sweet red bell pepper, 4 jalapeno pepper plants, 4 sweet banana pepper plants, 4 pablano pepper plants, 2 basil plants, 4 parsley plants, and 5 heirloom tomato plants (cherokee purple, consoluto genevese, consoluto fiorentina, little julia, and golden currant), plus I planted a row of radish seeds.

foodblog 066

Herb garden: tarragon, dill, more parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary, lavender, more basil, chives, mint, and oregano. I’ve got lemon balm, chamomile, and sorrel in pots on the front porch.

foodblog 060

@ 9:30 AM: I was washing the dog beds (with my two helpers, they’re never interested except when I’m doing something with their stuff).

Finley nestled himself in the bed covers, still warm from the dryer.

foodblog 051

As soon as I had them back on, they both plopped down. Silly pups!

foodblog 054

@ 10:00 AM: I was starting a pot of Kentucky Burgoo on the stove for lunch later. This time I used leftover ham from the freezer, diced.

foodblog 094

@ 10:30 AM: I was restoring the outdoor furniture with teak oil and setting out the outdoor decor

Andy’s been busy too, he’s changed the air filters in the house, vacuumed, mowed the lawn, used the weed eater and blower, planted my two ruby dianthus and my favorite flower, a pink sorbet peony plant (right next to the starry wind hibiscus).

foodblog 068

foodblog 069

@ 12:00 PM: I was finally showered and was resting at the computer and enjoying a small bowl of burgoo.

foodblog 106

@ 1:00 PM: I was taking a mini-nap…zzzz…

@ 2:30 PM: The 135th Running of the Kentucky Derby began as I enjoyed a sliver of Chocolate Walnut Pie and a few sips of a Mint Julep. (Check out that awesome, easy crust!)

foodblog 081

foodblog 082

Mint Julep

foodblog 084

  • 3-5 mint leaves
  • 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • 2-2 ½ ounces Maker’s Mark or Woodford Reserve Bourbon
  • ice

In a cocktail shaker, muddle (stir/gently crush) four mint springs and sugar. Add water and continue to muddle. Add bourbon. Pour the drink into a julep glass with crushed ice. Add a mint spring for decoration.

@ 5:00 PM we’ll be getting dressed up for my birthday dinner at Revolution, in Durham. After a quick discussion on “who wants to drive to Raleigh, anyway?” we decided to stay in town…after all we are Durham-ites!

1 Jessica Blog signature

1 comment:

Poochieheaven said...

Adorable beagles!

They really seem to enjoy their washed dog bed!