Tuesday, June 23, 2009

CEiMB: Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Blueberries and Cranberries

I’m posting this a week early since I’ll be away from my kitchen next week and am busy packing and cleaning the rest of my evenings home :)

Next weeks CEiMB is hosted by What's for Supper?foodblog 001

This time around, since I’d made these before, I veered from the original recipe. I think Ellie’s recipe has a great taste and crunch, but for me they are too caloric with little satiety. I decided to boost the amount of oats, drastically reduce the oil and sugar and remove the walnuts. I was very happy with how these turned out and I was able to get about 30 small cookies at just over 50 calories each.

This rendition satisfies my cookie craving and doesn’t leave me feeling the least bit guilty. It doesn’t hurt that I can have warm cookie, hot from the oven in about 15 minutes either! I plan on keeping this recipe handy as my “go-to” cookie.

  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
  • 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 cup apple sauce
  • 1/2 cup mixture of dried blueberries and cranberries

Preheat oven to 350*F.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until batter is blended evenly.

foodblog 010

Use a tablespoon to portion cookies on a greased baking sheet, approximately 1 inch apart.

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.

foodblog 002

I'm also entering these little gems in this weeks Blogger Secret Ingredient (BSI) contest, which is blueberries!

1 Jessica Blog signature

9 comments:

Reeni♥ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reeni♥ said...

Thanks a lot, Jessica! I'll add these little beauties to the list. And I'll be on the lookout for dried blueberries.

applecrumbles said...

Looks too good. Can't wait until next week!

nick said...

You have totally interested me in eating this next week now. Your adjustments will be taken under advisement.

Thanks!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health said...

Those look fantastic! So healthy!

Leslie said...

Weren't these great? I made them pretty much to the recipe and I keep them in the freezer for a before workout snack. Enjoy your trip!

Anonymous said...

I made these and they were yummy! Anna liked them too:)

Kelly

Maria Salomon said...

I LOVE the idea of dried blueberries and cranberries....I think I will do that for the cookies this week! Great blog!

What's for Supper? said...

Yours look delicious. I am glad that you got a chance to bake them!