Saturday, June 20, 2009

Oatmeal Hello Dolly Cookie Bars

Recently Zesty Cook had a guest blog post from Brandi, of Bran Appetit, on how to lighten up Hello Dolly Cookie Bars. I grew up calling these 7-Layer Bars but since I think the southern name of “Hello Dolly’s” is much cuter, I’m switching over :-) I also recall my Mom making these for Heather, my step-sister, because she just loved these! This version is not nearly as rich, thank goodness, but still has all the sweet flavor components.

On my new platter, that a good friend of mine had hand painted for me!! For such an elegant platter, I  thought the bars looked nicer cut into triangles.

foodblog 006
  • 2 cups oats, old fashioned
  • 3/4 cup graham crackers crumbs
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 smart balance butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
  1. Mix oats, wheat bran, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
  2. Add in applesauce, butter, and eggs.
  3. Fold in coconut and chips.
  4. Spread into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
  5. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy adapted from Zesty Cookfoodblog 016

Compared to the classic recipe, this version has:

  • 4x’s less sugar
  • 2.5x’s less calories
  • 2.5x’s less fat
  • 2x’s the fiber

    image 

    1 Jessica Blog signature

  • 2 comments:

    brandi said...

    great modification! I'll have to try this recipe soon.

    krystlkolektr said...

    These look so wonderful. I'll have to try the recipe. I'm so happy you like the platter. Your friend Gina has great taste! Enjoy, and thanks for putting a photo on your blog. Margaret (Joyce), Class On Glass.