Recently Zesty Cook had a guest blog post from Brandi, of Bran Appetit, on how to lighten up Hello Dolly Cookie Bars. I grew up calling these 7-Layer Bars but since I think the southern name of “Hello Dolly’s” is much cuter, I’m switching over :-) I also recall my Mom making these for Heather, my step-sister, because she just loved these! This version is not nearly as rich, thank goodness, but still has all the sweet flavor components.
On my new platter, that a good friend of mine had hand painted for me!! For such an elegant platter, I thought the bars looked nicer cut into triangles.
- 2 cups oats, old fashioned
- 3/4 cup graham crackers crumbs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 smart balance butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- Mix oats, wheat bran, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add in applesauce, butter, and eggs.
- Fold in coconut and chips.
- Spread into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy adapted from Zesty Cook
Compared to the classic recipe, this version has: