Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chocolate Chip Brownie Cupcakes and Apple Cider Shandy’s

These are the best cupcakes and brownies EVER and might be the only dessert I ever crave again…

Chocolate Chip Brownie Cupcakes

foodblog 015

Cupcakes:
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for garnish (regular or mini variety)
  • 1 (21-ounce) box brownie mix (recommended: Chewy Fudge)
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup water
Frosting:
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

For the cupcakes: Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.

In a small bowl combine 1 cup mini chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of the brownie mix. Toss until all the ingredients are coated. Set aside.

In a large bowl mix together the remaining brownie mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and water. Stir for 20 seconds until blended. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan (cupcake liners will be full). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the cupcakes comes out with moist fudgy crumbs. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting, about 30 minutes.

For the frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the cheese until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until smooth and spreadable. Refrigerate the frosting until ready to use.

Spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes and garnish with the remaining mini chocolate chips. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve at room temperature.

foodblog 013

Recipe courtesy of Giadia at Home

Apple Cider Shandy

foodblog 011 foodblog 010

  • 4 (12-fluid ounce) bottles lager beer, chilled
  • 1 (25.4-fluid ounce) bottle sparkling apple cider, chilled

Slowly pour the beer into a 10-cup capacity pitcher and slowly add the sparkling cider. Pour the shandy into frosted glasses and serve immediately

Recipe courtesy of Giadia at Home

Chia!

I purchased chia a couple weeks ago and will be trying it out in my overnight oats. It’s the new “hot item” and is referred to as the new flax seed. It has more fiber, protein, omega-3’s and the best part is they are shelf stable. For more information on chia, checkout out Dr. Weil’s article here.

foodblog 006

1 Jessica Blog signature

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I am now in love/lust with cupcakes. I think I can actually make those GF/CF pretty easily. MUST have.

I buy chia seeds from Whole Foods. I haven't tried them in oatmeal, but I like them in yogurt. They make it sort of custardy. They are insanely good for you.

Kelly said...

I think you left out a couple of ingredients, you mention walnuts, but I don't see how much you used, and then you mix the cheeses for the frosting, but only saw cream cheese..?

Inquiring minds want to know

Jessica said...

That's a case of not carefully editing the recipe I used with the changes I made :p I shared these with a friend who doesn't eat nuts so I left them out. And the cheeses were mascarpone and cream cheese - again I left the other cheese out and just used 8 oz of cream cheese. Good catches - I corrected them!

Kelly said...

Ooh good, because I have a vegan substitute for cream cheese, but I had no idea what to substitute for another kind of cheese.

nick said...

You should totally try that shandy with some hoppy ale if you can get your hands on it. I generally drink "lite" beers because I like it to be really crisp, but I think some ale could make that drink pop.

AudreyO said...

Wow, those cupcakes look sooo good. I think I'm hungry right now LOL