Saturday, July 25, 2009

Grilled Tilapia with Crème Peas and Roasted Tomato Salad

This morning I made a batch of Breakfast Sandwiches, they’re filled with homemade maple chicken sausage patties, hot pepper jack cheese, and red pepper jelly (for Andy to reheat at work)…

foodblog 014 foodblog 016

a Grasshopper Pie (Andy’s favorite dessert for the beach next week)…

foodblog 011

and a fantastic Pecan Pie (my father-in-law’s favorite dessert), I used this recipe without the chocolate.

foodblog 009

Before lunch I got to video chat via Google with my sister, for the first time!!! It was so nice (and cool) to actually see her and the kids! They were pulling out every toy they owned to show me over the camera. I’m so excited to have a web camera and feel more in touch with her and am encouraging all to get a web cam!

Brinkley Farms Summer CSA – Week 2

I used the crème peas in the recipe below, these are similar to black-eyed peas and are really more like edamame or butter beans than the typical green peas. Last year I made a delicious local ingredient crème peas and butter bean salad “Durham” Caviar; I hope to make again soon.

foodblog 007

1 pt yellow cherry tomatoes
1 pt red cherry tomatoes
1 lb crème peas in hull
1 lb heirloom tomatoes
1 pt sweet peppers (loved these!)
1 lb zucchini

Grilled Tilapia with Crème Peas and Roasted Tomato Salad

foodblog 020

  • 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/4 pounds fresh crème peas or fava bean pods, shelled
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
  • 4 tilapia filets
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes in a small baking dish. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and gently shake dish to coat; season with salt and pepper. Transfer tomatoes to oven and roast until heated through and just beginning to split, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
  2. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add crème peas to boiling water and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, add roasted tomatoes, peas, and mint; toss to coat with vinegar and mint. Season with salt and pepper. foodblog 017
  4. Preheat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Rub filets with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place them seasoned-side down in skillet; cook for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and turn; cook until they are just golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes more. 
  5. Divide tomato salad evenly between 4 plates. Top each salad with a filet; drizzle with any remaining vinaigrette from salad and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

1 Jessica Blog signature

2 comments:

Emily Geizer said...

Wow! Just discovered this blog. I'm placing my Brinkley Farm CSA order and googled creme peas. This recipe has good "google juice". I'll definitely try the creme peas and your different recipes this coming week. Thank you! The pics are fantastic!

Emily Geizer
http://www.childperspective.com

Tara V said...

I may try this one too---sounds yummy. I did a double-take when I saw that you were a Brinkley Farms subscriber too! I love being a part of a CSA and I know that we eat better because of it. Looking forward to seeing what other recipes you've come up with...