Sunday, August 30, 2009

And the Blogger Secret Ingredient Is...

OATS

foodblog 042

I was thrilled when Elizabeth @ Guilty Kitchen asked me to host the next BSI challenge. I <3 Oats: 1) I eat them in some form almost daily 2) they are a super food and 3) they have such versatility. Some of my favorite ways to use them are in my homemade granola; cookies, energy bars, crisps, breads, and dessert squares; as a hot oatmeal or cold breakfast muesli; and even in savory dishes such as the binder in meatloaf.

All participants/entries welcome – we love newcomers!

If you’d like to participate using OATS as this week’s blogger secret ingredient, please submit your recipes to me. You may either comment (below) and leave a link to your blog post (your post should link back to this post or to my blog) OR you can e-mail it to: andyjess2002 [at] yahoo [dot] com

I’ll reply back to your post once I receive it.
Deadline: Please submit recipes before 9:00 PM EST on Sunday, September 6th. There will be a round-up of everyone’s posts on Monday, September 7th. The winner will also be announced on Monday along with next week’s host site.

Your time starts… NOW!

A RT on Twitter would be much appreciated so you can let others know about the challenge...

Here is the listing of other Blogger Secret Ingredients hosts & ingredients (this is week 46). Be sure to take the time to check out all of the other blogs!

Week 46: Johnstone’s Vin Blanc – Oats Week 45: Guilty Kitchen – Figs Week 44: Ordinary Recipes Made Gourmet - Peanut Butter
Week 43: The Sophisticated Gourmet - Brown Sugar
Week 42: My Kitchen Addiction - Lime
Week 41: Nutmeg Nanny – Coffee
Week 40: Chaya’s Comfy Cook - Broccoli
Week 39: Healthy Delicious – Plums
Week 38: Zoe - Feta
Week 37: ChezWhat- Potatoes
Week 36: Cinnamon, Spice & Everything Nice - Blueberries
Week 35: Girlichef -Greens
Week 34: The Ungourmet – Watermelon
Week 33: Bread + Butter – Bell Pepper
Week 32: Burp and Slurp -Corn
Week 31: Say Yes to Salad – Kabocha
Week 30: Thinspired – Bananas
Week 29: To Be The Whole PackageAlmonds
Week 28: Kristas Kravings – Lemon
Week 27: From French Fries To Flax Seeds – Coconut
Week 26: Plentiful Plants – Avocado
Week 25: Training Fuel – Eggs
Week 24: Dinner at Christina’s – Cabbage
Week 23: Hey What’s for Dinner, Mom? – Strawberries
Week 22: One Bite at a Time – Basil
Week 21: Just Sweet Enough – Black Beans
Week 20: What I Ate Yesterday – Kale
Week 19: What’s for Dinner – Orange
Week 18: BranAppetit! –Spinach
Week 17: Tales of Expansion Dates
Week 16: Biggest Diabetic Loser – Zucchini
Week 15: Sweet & Natural –Peppermint
Week 14: bella eats [and runs] – Ginger
Week 13: Coffee Talk – Walnuts
Week 12: For the Love of OatsPumpkin
Week 11: Trying to Heal – Sweet Potatoes
Week 10: The Inner Workings of a College Graduate – Eggplant
Week 9: Itzy’s Kitchen – Pears
Week 8: The Fitnessista – Cranberries
Week 7: Tri to Cook – Lentils
Week 6: Rhodey Girl Tests – Polenta
Week 5: Eating Bender – Butternut Squash
Week 4: Care to Eat – Apples
Week 3: On a Lobster Placemat Mushrooms
Week 2: Hangry Pants – Tomatoes
Week 1: sportsnutritionliving – Quinoa

8 comments:

Christina said...

Congrats on the win and getting to host!!! :)

Oats is a good one!! I'll see what I can come up with!

biz319 said...

Great choice!!! Thanks for hosting this week!

brandi said...

ooh, great choice! I'll have to put my thinking cap on :)

Thinspired said...

Great ingredient! I'm surprised no one has chosen it before! :) I will re-tweet!

comfycook said...

Oats is a great choice. Unfortunately, I don't even keep them in the house since my husband has celiac and do my baking for him, so I have to pass this week. I really am sorry because this is a flexible ingredient. Hopefully, you will get some fantastic ideas.

Cucinista said...

Oats are the most! Great pick.

I have made my recipe: Oatmeal pancakes with cranberry relish

realfoodmama said...

This is my first week participating in this and I am really excited to see what people have come up with!

I made a warm Oatmeal Date pudding using steel cut oats. Here is the recipe:

http://realfoodmama.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/bloggers-secret-ingredient-oats/

- Real Food Mama

Anna (londonfoodieny) said...

I ADORE oats! here is my entry http://londonfoodieny.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/bsi-challenge-oats/