Monday, August 3, 2009

Pawley's Island: Cloudy Days 1 and 2

We've had a wonderful couple of days at the beach. My days are typically structured something like this:

· 2-3 mile morning beach walk
· Coffee with pancakes and fruit
· Morning ocean swim
· Chill time and grocery trip
· Lunch prep
· Big Lunch w/ family
· Chill time: reading, internet, coloring, etc
· Dinner on your own (sandwich or leftovers)
· Evening walk

Andy's cousins from Atlanta, GA joined us at the beach Saturday and Sunday - here's a photo of us all with their grandparents.


It's been a more mild and humid August than typical - we've had overcast mornings and late afternoon rains each day. We're actually quite pleased with the cooler and cloudier temps.

Here’s a photo and recipe link recap of what I’ve cooked so far. My mother-in-law is the best sous chef – I make out the master plan and keep the dish going as she chops, stirs, mixes, or cleans away.

Local Peach Mountain Pudding
This is one of my all time favorite desserts. This time I used all purpose white flour, peaches in place of the berries, and omitted the extra sugar on them since they were so ripe and sweet.

Baked to perfection...

Shredded Pork Enchiladas
(original recipe calls for 1 lb chicken and 2 cups cooked rice)

2 (10 oz) cans of enchilada sauce
3 cubanelle peppers, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs shredded pork
1 8 oz pkg of cream cheese
1 pkg of 18-20 small whole wheat flour tortillas
12 oz of shredded Mexican blend cheese

Preheat oven to 400 F

Heat a skillet with 1 Tbsp oil, sauté peppers and onion over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add shredded pork, cream cheese, and one can of enchilada sauce. Cook on medium until heated through.

Spoon one large spoonful of mixture into center of flour tortilla & roll up. Place open side down in 9 x 13 baking dish.

Continue with remaining mixture & tortillas. Pour remaining can of enchilada sauce and sprinkle cheese over enchiladas. Bake for 15 min, until cheese is golden brown.
Lunch table set with Zucchini Casserole, Caprese Salad, and leftover coleslaw.

I picked up a Jonathon Green coloring book while we were out grabbing a few groceries this afternoon. I was pleased that we were able to fnd a "grown-up" version, I wasn't feeling Sponge Bob or Dora the Explorer so much. My coworker Kelly has been talking about how she enjoys coloring - it's both fun and relaxating - I couldn't agree with her more.
We were told that we had to try "Palmetto" Cheese. It's like pimento cheese but with the addition of cream cheese - I think it's creamier and a little more mellow in flavor. Good stuff!
I'm now off to make a very difficult decision...grasshopper or pecan pie...hmmm...any guesses?

4 comments:

thechiclife said...

Yummy eats!!

Pecan Pie, pecan pie!! :)

Sara M. said...

You're making me want to color! I bet all we have at my house are Scooby Doo and Mickey Mouse coloring books though... That Palmetto Cheese looks yummy. I bet you could recreate it for us. hint, hint...

Kelly said...

Your vacation, and all your food, sounds incredible.

Hooray for coloring!!

Ps, my word verification is volemots. It sounds like it has something to do with Voldemort

applecrumbles said...

My parents live in Pawleys...specifically in Heritage Plantation. I love it down there...but hate the morning swampy smell.