Saturday, September 26, 2009

Autumnal Good Things…

Over the last few weeks I have been honored and lucky enough to be chosen as the BSI winner for both the fig and yogurt competition! My fig entry won me a jar of homemade apple butter and my yogurt entry won me two packages of loose leaf tea – I’m looking forward to enjoying these treats during the fall months :) 

foodblog 007

The Wednesday’s Durham Farmer’s Market is winding down until next spring =( …this week I was thrilled to find a Conadria fig tree! This will produce large egg sized light green figs with a soft pink interior. I just happened to find this variety at Whole Foods this summer. Andy planted it for me yesterday, and it seems to be happy in its' new home.

foodblog 027

It was already full of baby figs, but these will likely not ripen this season.

 foodblog 028

Finally, I’m harvesting my fresh basil today. I really enjoyed having homemade pesto in the freezer last year to stir into soups, pastas, bread topping, etc.

foodblog 032 

Washed and drying…ready to become Walnut-Basil Pesto.

foodblog 033

Brinkley Farms Summer CSA – Week 10

foodblog 005

  • 3 lbs red tomatoes
  • 2 green bell peppers
  • 1 lb russian kale
  • 1 acorn squash
  • 1 mini-gourd
  • 1 alladins mini pumpkin

No comments: