Tuesday, September 1, 2009

CEiMB: Chicken Waldorf Wraps

Hosted by Me!! (Also, this is my Yogurt entry for the BSI challenge this week hosted by Faith of Thought 4 Food.)

This week I had the opportunity to choose the Craving Ellie in My Belly (CEiMB) selection. Since summer is winding down, I wanted to get in one more of Ellie’s no-cook, fresh and light recipes. I loved that this recipe offered crisp and crunchy romaine and apple, cool and creamy dressing for the chicken, and a burst of juicy fruit from the grapes.

We served leftovers the following day on a romaine salad. I was very pleased with this chicken salad and will happily replace more heavily caloric versions with this one going forward.

foodblog 028

  • 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt or 3/4 cups nonfat Greek-style yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon minced thyme
  • 1 pound cooked, skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1/2 cup seedless grapes, sliced in 1/2
  • 1/4 cup toasted, coarsely chopped walnuts
  • 1 medium apple, cored and diced (about 3/4 cup)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 large leaves Romaine lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
  • 5 whole-wheat wraps, about 8 inches in diameter

If using regular yogurt place the yogurt in a strainer lined with a paper towel. Put the strainer over a bowl and place in the refrigerator to drain and thicken for 30 minutes.

foodblog 025

In a small bowl, combine the thickened or Greek-style yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, salt and thyme until smooth. Fold in chicken, grapes, walnuts and apples. Season with pepper.

foodblog 026

Place 1 lettuce leaf on a wrap. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the chicken filling onto wrap and roll wrap around filling.

foodblog 030

Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

8 comments:

AppleC said...

Perfect pick. We really enjoyed this one.

amanda said...

Looks yummy! Thanks for the great pick, my whole family loved it!

traveleatlove said...

Looks like an amazing recipe! I can't wait to add it to my must-try list :)

Maria Salomon said...

I agree, perfect winding-down-the-summer recipe.
We loved it......great pick!

lauralop said...

looks great! i had to sit out this week due to a nasty stomach flu, but i'll have to try making this one in the future. great pick!

Lauryn said...

Your wraps look delicious!! I apologize that I skipped this week, I am sorry I did...these really look wonderful!!

Pamela said...

Great choice! I loved that it was fairly easy to put together and the portion size was terrific and filling! Definite repeater over here!

Sara said...

Great pick! I did make it, though I wasn't able to post about it. It was the perfect weeknight dinner, delicious and ready in minutes.