This week I had the opportunity to choose the Craving Ellie in My Belly (CEiMB) selection. Since summer is winding down, I wanted to get in one more of Ellie’s no-cook, fresh and light recipes. I loved that this recipe offered crisp and crunchy romaine and apple, cool and creamy dressing for the chicken, and a burst of juicy fruit from the grapes.
We served leftovers the following day on a romaine salad. I was very pleased with this chicken salad and will happily replace more heavily caloric versions with this one going forward.
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt or 3/4 cups nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- 1 pound cooked, skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup seedless grapes, sliced in 1/2
- 1/4 cup toasted, coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced (about 3/4 cup)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 large leaves Romaine lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
- 5 whole-wheat wraps, about 8 inches in diameter
If using regular yogurt place the yogurt in a strainer lined with a paper towel. Put the strainer over a bowl and place in the refrigerator to drain and thicken for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the thickened or Greek-style yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, salt and thyme until smooth. Fold in chicken, grapes, walnuts and apples. Season with pepper.
Place 1 lettuce leaf on a wrap. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the chicken filling onto wrap and roll wrap around filling.