Wednesday, September 9, 2009

CEiMB: Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

Hosted by Cookies with Boys

One can’t talk BBQ here without starting an “intense” conversation. Carolinians are serious "about their BBQ!!  Since living most of my life (almost 20 years) in Kentucky, I grew up on tomato based style BBQ.  Before moving to NC, I don’t honestly know if I had ever had vinegar-based or “Eastern Carolina” BBQ; however, I have quickly learned to adore it.  I think both styles have their own place in this world.

I thought Ellie offered a great rendition of a tomato-based sauce and we liked using chicken as the meat choice. I served mine in a leftover wrap that we still had in the house from last weeks CEiMB pick. I served our cue with “Better than Fried” Okra and sliced tomatoes with balsamic and basil.

foodblog 005

  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 5 tablespoons molasses
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
  • 1 whole rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded into thin strips (about 4 to 4 1/2 cups)
  • 6 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
  • 6 large green lettuce leaves

Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, vinegar, molasses, pepper and liquid smoke and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chopped chicken, return to a simmer, and cook an additional 10 minutes.

Split rolls. Place a leaf of lettuce on each roll, then pile on 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto the roll.

foodblog 007
Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Looks good. Thanks for cooking with me this week!

Lauryn said...

I made mine in a wrap as well and I thought it was delicious!! Yours looks great, and those side dishes look incredible too!

Mary Ann said...

Your discussion about BBQ is exactly what I needed to see- it is soo complicated in the South and I really don't understand it. Now I know- tomato or vinegar based.
It looks great as a wrap!

applecrumbles said...

Using the wraps was a super idea.
It looks great and probably worked perfect with the okra.