This was good…but not great like I thought it would be. I thought it would be as spectacular as pastitsio…but sadly it was not. It sure feeds a crowd though, so we’ll be eating it the next day or so.
1 pound ground beef
1 onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 can of pureed tomatoes
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
1 eggplant (sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices)
2 cups béchamel sauce
1/2 cup pecorino (grated)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Brown the ground beef in a pan.
2. Remove the ground beef from the pan reserving a bit of the grease in the pan.
4. Add the the onions and sauté until translucent.
5. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
6. Add the ground beef, tomatoes, wine, basil, oregano, cinnamon, bay leaf, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Broil the eggplant until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
10. Melt the most of the cheese in the béchamel sauce.
11. Pour the béchamel sauce onto the meat sauce.
12. Top with the bread crumbs and the remaining cheese.
13. Bake in a 350F oven for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of Closet Cooking
We finally got our beagle portrait framed and on the wall!! Cute story - the painting is so HUGE that Wilson was scared of it! He started growling at the dogs in the photo and had his hackles up! ha ha ha
Here it is in the stairwell:
We also got this cute beagle print framed: