Sunday, November 22, 2009

Maple-Cinnamon Whole-Roasted Persimmons

Yesterday morning started off with my favorite breakfast, a bowl of Trader Joe’s plain European yogurt with homemade granola. I’ve been topping it off with various jams and have loved this Hibiscus & cranberry one given to me by a friend.

foodblog 030

Then we headed out for our local errands. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to find anything at Morgan Imports, but we had a lot of fun at Wine Authorities and Local Yogurt.

My favorite Dolly Mama Corn, Chile, and Pepita Dark Chocolate Bark, Hillsborough Cheese Co: Bloomin’ Sweet Ash Cheese and a Guglhupf Bakery Batard. We also tasted five phenomenal wines today at the tasting and picked up three of them.

foodblog 035

foodblog 036

The last stop was LoYo were I picked up there new Jumbo sized carton to go, we decided on pumpkin!

foodblog 034

I purchased persimmons earlier this week and had planned to slice them for a salad, but as they sat on my counter day after day I started remembering how good fruits are roasted. After a quick Google search I came up with this recipe, below.

Roasting makes the persimmons fork tender and really draws the sweetness out. The skin reminded me of the texture of a date, the interior almost pumpkin-like and the taste of a cinnamon-papaya. Yesterday, I ended up pairing mine with a couple of dates for a mid afternoon snack and this morning I had one reheated and diced on top of French toast.

 foodblog 038

  • 4 large Fuyu persimmons (ripe but still firm), cored
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place the persimmons on a backing sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon and salt, followed by a drizzle of maple syrup. Bake for about one hour, until very soft.

Recipe courtesy of Culinary Competitor

Dinner was an old favorite and I had one happy husband for making it - Loaded Potato Soup.

foodblog 042

Finally, I realized a couple days ago that I have forgotten to photograph and post the last two weeks CSA baskets…I’ll do better. Here’s the contents though.

Brinkley Farms Winter CSA – Week 2

  • 2 bags spinach
  • 1 fennel bulb
  • 1 lb kale
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 1 lb stew beef

Brinkley Farms Winter CSA - Week 3

  • 1 head green butter crunch lettuce
  • 1 fennel bulb
  • 1 delicata squash
  • 1 lb chorizo
  • 1 lb ground beef

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm going to HAVE to try that potato soup recipe. I love it, but I can't enjoy it because it's usually made with heavy cream. Definitely going to make this in the next couple weeks!