Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pre-Thanksgiving Cook-off

This morning (was finished by 8:30 AM) I cooked all for the love of this leftover Thanksgiving dish (scroll to the bottom of that post). This will be the third year in a row I’ve prepared a meal with my true desire being just to have leftovers for the casserole.

foodblog 033

Last weekend I prepared our bird and placed the shredded meat in the freezer. For the first time I am using store bought gravy. Recently, while at Whole Foods I saw that Imagine makes an organic prepared gravy, I couldn’t resist giving it a try. But I did use my own homemade stock for the stuffing, so that should count for something. I snuck a little taste of the gravy and thought it tasted great for this purpose.

foodblog 031

Speaking of stuffing, I tried another new recipe again this year…I think I may have found my signature stuffing dish.

Apple-Bacon Stuffing

foodblog 035

Step 1: In a large deep skillet, sauté 1/4 pound diced bacon in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes; transfer to paper towels.

Step 2: Add 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped celery stalks, 2 diced apples, and 1 tablespoon each thyme and sage; cook 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

foodblog 028

Step 3: Pour in 3 cups chicken broth. Simmer until step 5.

Step 4: In a large bowl, beat 2 eggs. Add the bacon and 1 cup chopped chestnuts.

Step 5: Add to the bowl 8 cups toasted bread cubes, 6 cups crumbled cornbread and the hot broth mixture.

Step 6: Gently toss the stuffing, then spread in a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Dot the top with butter or turkey pan drippings, cover and bake 30 minutes at 350. Uncover and bake until golden, 20 more minutes.

Recipe adapted from Food Network Kitchens

This Roasted Cranberry Sauce ROCKS!! It is the quickest cranberry sauce to throw together too. I just top the cranberries with the ingredients and gently stir together right on the pan. Bake for 15 minutes and squeeze the orange juice, balsamic, and ginger over the top!! No stove top stirring, popping, or babysitting required.

foodblog 037

All topped offed with leftover sweet potato casserole (it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving in our house without it). Since I was making this purely to top off our Thanksgiving casserole, I left off the pecan topping.

foodblog 041

Finally, April has a fantastic giveaway occurring on her blog, go check it out (but don’t enter because I want to win :P

We’re headed out to Morgan Imports this afternoon in hopes of finishing up our Christmas shopping list. We’re also going to swing by our favorite wine shop, Wine Authorities, to pick-up a buttery Chardonnay for us to enjoy at the Fearrington Village for Andy’s 30th b-day celebration. Once there, I can’t go to the University Shopping Center without stopping into Local Yogurt. They’re now offering Jumbo to-go 24 ounce size containers! I’m either getting pumpkin or plain…or maybe I’ll get those two swirled!!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Jessica, these photos look great! I feel the same way though, the best part about Thanksgiving is the leftovers!

Cucinista said...

Those all look great. I'm really intrigued by your cranberry sauce.