Tomorrow afternoon Andy is having minor surgery on his prolonged (about 8 months), super-swollen finger - a Tendon Synovectomy to be exact. It’s on his dominant, right, hand…so the next couple of weeks are going to be interesting for us. Wish him/us well!
One thing is not like the other…
Brinkley Farms Winter CSA – Week 1
My winter CSA began again tonight!
- 1 lb kielbasa
- 1 large hubbard squash
- 1 head green buttercrunch
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 small butternut squash
Finally, onto dinner – a sandwich full of unique flavors, textures, and crunch! Yum!
- 1/2 tablespoon EVOO
- 4 slices smoky bacon, chopped
- 2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, eyeball the amount in the palm of your hand
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 small or 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime
- 4 slices ripe tomato
- 4 leaves leaf lettuce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large eggs
- 4 deli slices Pepper jack cheese, Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 8 Slices white or wheat Pullman bread, toasted
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in large skillet over medium high heat. Add the bacon to the skillet and cook until crisp, 3-4 minutes, drain bacon and reserve. Wipe out all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Halve the chicken breasts across, producing 4 cutlets. Add cutlets to the skillet and season with salt, pepper and cumin, oregano and chili powder. Cook chicken 3 minutes on each side to golden and firm.
Mash avocado with onions, garlic, jalapeno, the zest and juice of 1 lime. Stir in bacon bits. Taste the guacamole and season with a pinch or 2 of salt if you think it necessary.
Remove chicken form skillet then wipe clean and reduce heat top medium. Add butter and melt. Fry eggs to medium or well, 4-5 minutes, turning after 3 minutes. Melt cheese over each egg under loose foil tent in last minute or so of cook time.
Place fried eggs on toast and top with thin chicken cutlet, lettuce, tomato and bacon guacamole, set toast tops in place and cut corner to corner.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Served with spicy roasted chickpeas, this time with the addition of a little agave syrup and ground cinnamon!!
AND a small chocolate bear claw from Ninth Street Bakery for dessert!