Wednesday, December 30, 2009

CEiMB: No Bake Lemon Bars

Happy New Years Eve! When I stop to think about it, it's really hard to believe that the year is over. We're planning on spending a nice evening with our friends playing games and snacking the night away. I hope everyone else enjoys their final evening of 2009 and wishing you all the best in 2010!

Hosted by Playing House

As I prepped my ingredients last night, I was stumped for a moment when I couldn’t find my square baker. Then I recalled that It’s still in the freezer with a leftover casserole in it; I quickly decided to make this in my deep dish pie pan instead.

foodblog 064

Rather than dirtying up a second bowl, I made the batter in my food processor. I just thoroughly scraped the graham cracker mixture out and whipped it right up.

foodblog 054

Licking the batter this tastes like a fresh lemon cheesecake…it was hard to wait the 8 hours to serve myself a slice. As I poured the batter into the dish I was impressed by how quickly the mixture was already setting-up. I found this lemon dessert quite nice, but I found it far more comparable to a cheesecake than a lemon bar…which is just fine with me!

foodblog 055

Crust:
  • 14 whole-grain graham cracker squares (7 full sheets)
  • 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Cooking spray
Filling:
  • 1 (8-ounce) package 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened at room temperature
  • 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup pasteurized egg product (such as egg beaters)
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
  • 3 tablespoons boiling water

Place graham crackers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until crumbs are formed. Add butter, brown sugar and salt and pulse to incorporate, until crumbs resemble wet sand. Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray and pack crumbs firmly into the bottom of it. Refrigerate until ready to use.

In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, condensed milk and pasteurized egg product and beat on high with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add lemon zest and juice and beat until fully incorporated, another 30 seconds. In a small bowl, combine the gelatin and boiling water and whisk until gelatin is entirely dissolved; let cool 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the gelatin into the cream cheese-lemon mixture until well incorporated. Pour the filling over the crust. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, until filling is firm. Slice into 2-inch squares using a chilled knife coated with cooking spray.

Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

4 comments:

Amy I. said...

So glad you liked it!! I agree, it's more cheesecake-y than lemon bar-y. Happy New Year :)

TeaLady said...

This was really easy. And really good.

Love your pan.

AppleC said...

Great job. We liked it as well. very refreshing.

Rachel said...

I agree that it's more cheesecakey, but definitely delicious!