Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Oscar’s Corn Bread

I’ve been determined to see the Picasso Exhibit before it ends on January 3rd. Today I was finally able to make that happen.

foodblog 056

The museum was quite packed, but I made my way through :) I was surprised to see such a wide variety of artistic style that Picasso possessed.

foodblog 058

I also stop into the Andy Warhol exhibit of Polaroid photos – interesting. It’s always interesting to see what others taste are in art. I must say today I did not experience my favorite styles art work, but glad I went nonetheless.

foodblog 059

Great-Grandpa Oscar Wyatt’s Corn Bread

christmas 2009 056

One of my missions while at home last week was to get my great-grandfather’s corn bread recipe from Mom. It has a fluffy interior and crunchy exterior that I haven’t been able to replicate using other recipes. My sister and I were very close to my great-grandparents and miss them dearly. I have such fond memories of them, and even shared my grandpa’s birthday, I was his “Birthday Girl”. When I was young we always celebrated together.

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal*
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat a 9-in. cast iron skillet with 1 Tbsp bacon grease or canola oil while the oven is heating to 425 degrees.

Mix liquids and stir in dry ingredients (do not over mix). Pour batter into the hot skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Flip onto serving dish and allow to cool slightly before slicing.

*You can make your own self-rising cornmeal easily. 1 cup of self-rising cornmeal is equivalent to 1 Tbsp of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 cup minus 1 Tbsp of cornmeal.

No comments: