Thursday, December 10, 2009

Happy, happy 30th Birthday!!

Today is my husband’s 30th birthday – yeah!! We’ve spent almost our entire 20’s together, ready for more good things to come now that one of us has hit 30. Hoping we’ll both be more grounded and solid in our life decisions to come.

andrewjohnstonedrive

This afternoon, after getting my free H1N1 vaccination at Duke Medicine, I met Sarah, a fellow food blogger, for lunch at Watt’s Grocery. Watt’s is one of my very favorite places to each in Durham. I love it because they support local farms, fisheries, and creameries; serve seasonal ingredients and change their menu quarterly; have fun, comforting, yet gourmet food; and are super friendly and welcoming. Today, since I had a holiday work celebration to attend, I chose something small and got a cup of their soup special – Fish Stew. It was delicious, as everything I’ve ever had there has been.

foodblog 037

Sarah got the Butternut Squash Salad with Maytag blue cheese, spiced pecans and balsamic vinaigrette

foodblog 039

Sarah also sent me packing with these delicious bars – thanks!! An Honest Foods granola plank and TWO of Angela’s Glo Bakery bars: Cranberry Pumpkin Spice and Dark Chocolate Roasted Coffee!! The soup only awakened my appetite…and I was SO excited to try one of the Glo Bars that I decided to break off a piece. It was so moist, fresh, chewy and flavorful…I couldn’t resist finishing it off.

foodblog 042

Then I headed straight into Tyler’s Taproom at American Tobacco Campus, to do a little room set-up before our holiday celebration. I decided to forgo taking photos but had a bite of steak and chicken satay skewers, hummus and pita, Italian meats, and chips with guacamole. For dinner I ordered the Blackened Salmon Salad with a glass of buttery chardonnay.

Interior of American Tobacco Campus

foodblog 044

So many people asked me what I was cooking the birthday boy today :) Generally, I would be creating him a special dish, but since I had so many food events today we agreed that I would bring him home something of his choosing from Tyler’s. The birthday boy enjoyed a Philly Burger with caramelized onions, mushrooms and Swiss cheese along with their famous garlic fries. It just so happened that the special dessert of tonight was Andy’s very favorite…so he also got a slice of Mint Chocolate Chip Mousse Pie!

foodblog 049

Tomorrow night we our officially celebrating his big “3-0” at the Umstead Hotel and Spa’s Herons Restaurant.

I leave you tonight with this weeks CSA basket. I can’t wait for next week where they are offering local boneless, skinless chicken breast!!

Brinkley Farms Winter CSA - Week 5

foodblog 046

  • 2 heads of green buttercrunch lettuce
  • 2 butternut squash
  • 1 acorn squash
  • 1 bag of arugula
  • 2lb bag of 100% whole wheat flour

1 comment:

sarah said...

had so much fun @ lunch with you!! josh and i dug into the cookies last night -- SO GOOD, thank you so much!

i can't wait to hear about herons! josh and i might try it over our new years break.