Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Scrumptious Apple Bacon Bites

Today was my first day back to work, it’s so hard to go back after enjoying such a nice, long time away. At least I only have to work three days this week. This morning I tried my first SIAB (Smoothie in a Bowl). Stoneyfield smoothie, mixed with chia and homemade granola.

foodblog 052

On my way home I stopped by Durham Performing Arts Center and purchased tickets to Wicked!!

Wicked (2003 Original Broadway Cast)

I have wanted to see this show for over a year now, so glad I now have tickets in my possession and can start dreaming about what a great evening it will be. These will be part of my birthday present as the performance we are seeing will be over my birthday weekend in late April.

foodblog 059

These are this years North Carolina State Fair 3rd place winner. They are very good and quite flavorful. I would describe them as a savory Bisquick biscuit, only much moister. I used Canadian bacon, light butter and apples with the skin left on.

  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon curry powder
  • ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 cups peeled and diced North Carolina apples
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 cup sour cream

Mix flour, brown sugar, curry powder, cheddar cheese and bacon together in a small bowl. Add diced apples and mix together. Set aside.

In another bowl, mix self-rising flour, melted butter and sour cream to make a batter. Combine the two mixtures gently and drop 1-2 teaspoons batter into un-greased mini muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

foodblog 057

Makes about 48 Apple Bacon Bites or 12 regular muffins baked for 20 minutes.

Recipe courtesy of WRAL-TV

3 comments:

sarah said...

i want to see wicked too! and, i've never seen anything at the dpac -- sounds like the perfect opportunity. can you get the tickets by picking them up? it looks like online they are not available until jan 15.

Elizabeth Edith said...

So excited you got Wicked tickets! My birthday is in May, so I'm trying to get my sisters to go with me :) We went to the DPAC on Thanksgiving and saw the Phantom of the Opera and it was awesome!

Lu said...

Wicked is a-ma-zing! I saw it over the summer and I loved it. Those muffins look so good. Yummy!