Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sugar Plums

I’ve always wanted to make sugar plums, I' don’t recall ever having them before and I have no idea if this is close to the original variety or not, but when I found this recipe I thought it was quite doable. It turns out that these remind me of one very delicious thing…Larabars!!

For now these are still fresh in the fridge, but when I package them up to give to my favorite Gluten-free friend, Kelly, I plan to dust them with snow (aka powdered sugar).

foodblog 034

  • 1 cup whole almonds
  • 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped)
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates (chopped)
  • 1/2 cup dried figs (chopped)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons icing sugar

1. Pulse nuts and dried fruits in a food processor. Add honey and spices and pulse until slightly sticky clumps form.
2. Roll small balls out of the mixture.
3. Dust with powdered sugar.

Recipe courtesy of Closet Cooking

5 comments:

Diana said...

So fun...and if they taste like Larabars, I bet I would love them! SO thoughtful to give them to your GF friend. You go girl! :)

Margaret said...

Oh my gosh, these sound wonderful. Everything in them I like. And my friend Marilyn and I are both Gluten intollerent. I'll be trying this recipe for sure. Thanks for posting it Jessica.
Margaret

Kelly said...

Ha!!!!! I was just reading a recipe for sugar plums, and I thought they sounded amazing, and I wanted to make some, but my only-used twice food processor gave up on life. Can't wait to try these!

love you! mwah!

Hema said...

Sugar plums looks delish.. Bet your GF would have loved it! Thanks for sending it to the T&T event

zlamushka said...

Hey there, lovely sugar plums :-) Thanks for participating the cooking event with Kevin. I hope you re up for another challenge too. We have almost 10 more days to go ... this month, we are cooking from Akal´s Saappadu, hope you like. More info here.