Monday, January 18, 2010

Ellie Krieger's Double-Chocolate Brownies

Ellie brings quite the ooey-gooey brownie to the table. I was afraid these would produce more of a cake-like brownie, which aren’t my favorite…however; I was quite happy with the texture of these. Since it’ll just be me eating these, I made half a batch and plan to freeze a few individually.

 foodblog 017

  • Cooking spray
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup whole-grain pastry flour (or 1/2 cup each whole-wheat and all-purpose flours)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally; do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water.

Whisk the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and brown sugar until smooth, then add the yogurt, oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Whisk in the melted chocolate mixture until blended. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle with walnuts, if desired. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, (do not over bake) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in the pan on a rack before slicing. Serves 24, 160 calories a piece.

foodblog 007

Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

6 comments:

comfycook said...

I immediately noted how little butter she uses. It is good to know these are not too cake-like. I am for trying all kinds of brownies.

Catherine said...

This looks really yummy! I love Ellie Krieger, her recipes like this one are so delicious and guilt-free!

small houses said...

I really like Ellie Kreiger recipes. It is always a hit on me.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) said...

Looks so ooey gooey! I loved that you used whole grain flour. Could you taste it?

Jessica @ JJsVinBlanc said...

Allie, they aren't as ooey-gooey as the box mixed kind, but I was very pleased that they weren't dry and cakey either. Kind of inthe middle, but hot out of the oven they were still very moist (don't over bake). I've been having one at night topped with LoYo plain and really enjoying it. I can't taste ww flour at all, loved that she used all whole grains, they are very chocolatey too.

AppleC said...

I was expecting a 5 layer dip but got something better! ... at least for my mood right now.
Great looking brownies and Ellie puts healthy first so I know they can't be so bad for us.
Super!