Saturday, January 23, 2010

Healthy Blueberry Muffins & So Easy: Greek Salad Pitas

Last night my husband came home caring this bouquet in his arms…awe!! Needless to say I was completely surprised and thrilled <3 I had called him earlier crying after a rough morning, but am feeling good now.

foodblog 006 foodblog 007

I even got my choice of take-out, we hadn’t had Mexican in awhile so I went with that. I ordered a bean tostada and a Chile relleno from our neighborhood joint, Las Palmas. I had a couple bites of Andy’s Nachos Supreme as well, one of my favorites.

foodblog 008

Healthy Blueberry Muffins

This morning started off bright and early with Blueberry Muffins that I saw last weekend on Diana’s blog: The Chic Life. I couldn’t resist making them this weekend for myself. I used to be a huge blueberry muffin fan growing up but haven’t had them in a long time…until today. I love eating this version as an adult knowing that they are full of healthy grains and fruits.  

foodblog 010

FOR BATTER
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
FOR TOPPING
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with nonstick spray.

  2. In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon. Stir.

  3. In a small bowl, combine egg substitute or egg whites, milk, applesauce, vanilla. Whisk until smooth.

  4. Add to dry ingredients. Stir with a fork just until batter is blended; do not over mix. Gently stir in blueberries. Spoon batter into muffin cups.

  5. Mix 1 T sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over each muffin.

  6. Bake until muffins spring back when touched lightly and tops are golden, about 15 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove and serve warm.

Recipe courtesy of Recipezaar

Greek Salad Pitas

A nice and different way to flavor up a traditional turkey sandwich. The feta cheese spread really brings this whole sandwich together.

foodblog 012

Greek Spread: Feta, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, and oregano

Other ingredients: pita pocket, turkey slices, lettuce, tomato, olives, and cucumber (no cukes for me though, not a fan).

2 comments:

PageRank Check said...

looks healthy but tasty cant wait to try it

Melody Ann said...

Those muffins look so yummy!! I am definitely going to give this recipe a try since it looks pretty low calorie too. Have you ever read the Joy the Baker blog? I just know you would love her. joythebaker.com
You should give it a gander sometime when you have a minute. Hope your weekend is lovely!