Thursday, January 7, 2010

Jen’s Grandmother’s Ham Rice

Thanks to Sarah, I received my first ever blog award this week. Along with the award comes the requirement that I disclose 7 facts about myself.

So here it goes. . .

  1. In college I was an Ele Ed major, but since graduation I’ve worked at a credit union in KY and in the Human Resources field. I love my job and wouldn’t trade it for anything.
  2. I’m a finance control freak, I balance my account once or twice daily. The only debt we have is our mortgage.
  3. I got married when I was 21 years-old and still had 3 semesters of college to complete. Andy and I will be married 8 years on our next anniversary. We are both very decisive and know what we want in life.
  4. I was born in Ohio, moved to Washington D.C. when I was 6 and lived there for one school year, and then was raised in Kentucky. When I was 25 Andy and I moved to North Carolina where he is completing his post doc at the EPA.
  5. I’m a natural born organizer, type A person.
  6. I’ve been known to be a perfectionist…but I’m learning my limits.
  7. I’m looking forward to 2010 and very thankful for how our life is taking shape in Durham.

Now the fun, I have the privilege of passing along the award to 7 other Beautiful Bloggers of my choosing that make my life a joy.

Ok, now onto cooking and food…my other loves in life. Tonight, I made a quick homemade rice that a friend from high school, Jen, shared recently. She writes recipes for the St. Louis Examiner and has given some great recipes to her readers. I loved the curry and ham together, only wish I’d made more!

foodblog 016

  • 2 TBSP butter
  • ¼ cup diced raw onion
  • ¼ cup diced carrot
  • 1 cup cooked ham, diced
  • 1 TBSP curry powder
  • 2 cups cold cooked rice
  • Soy sauce, to taste

Step 1: In a pan over medium heat, melt butter. Sauté onions and carrots in melted butter for approximately 3 minutes.

Step 2: Add ham and cook until vegetables are tender, but not too soft.

Step 3: Add curry powder and stir well to mix. Stir in rice. Cook until rice is heated through.

Step 4: While stirring, add soy sauce, to taste, one teaspoon at a time. Serve warm.

Recipe courtesy of Jen Pedro

Brinkley Farms Winter CSA - Week 7

foodblog 018

  • 2 - butternut squash
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 head green buttercrunch lettuce
  • 1 bunch spring onions
  • 1 lb pork chops

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Swap onions and kale for two acorn squash and we picked the same CSA stuff this week!!