Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Kath's Nutty Sweet Potato & Kale Soup

I was so completely surprised with this soup, it’s divine. I loved the velvety smooth texture and the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes, dried fruit, coconut and vanilla. The crunch of the nuts completes this soup perfectly.

My husband, a non-sweet lover, declined to have a bowl…just means ready-to-go lunches for me :)

foodblog 013

  • 2 pounds of sweet potato, cut into 1” pieces and microwaved in a bowl on high for 6.5 minutes to start the cooking process
  • 3 cloves garlic,  pressed
  • 1 can lite coconut milk
  • 1 cup 2% milk (or skim, or whole)
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 4 cups kale, trimmed, washed and torn into small pieces
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup salted peanuts, for garnish
  • Shredded coconut, for garnish
  1. Prepare sweet potatoes in microwave.
  2. Heat a large pot on medium high. Spray with cooking spray and add potatoes, cooking until they begin to brown. Stir in garlic.
  3. Add coconut milk, milk, masala, salt, pepper and flakes.
  4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
  5. Mash potatoes with potato masher or puree with immersion blender.
  6. Add raisins, kale and vanilla and cover. Allow to cook for 8-10 more minutes, until kale is bright green.
  7. Portion into bowls and garnish with 1 tbsp each peanuts and coconut.

Recipe courtesy of Kath Eats

4 comments:

Melody Ann said...

I love that you love that site! I went to high school with Kathryn Younger. :)

sarah (SHU) said...

YAYYYYYYY love that you loved it!

Meg said...

The soup is perfect during this freezing cold week. I thought NC was supposed to be warmer than Boston? :)

solid wood baby cribs said...

I really love this site. I discover lots of new recipes that I really have to try out.