I was so completely surprised with this soup, it’s divine. I loved the velvety smooth texture and the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes, dried fruit, coconut and vanilla. The crunch of the nuts completes this soup perfectly.
My husband, a non-sweet lover, declined to have a bowl…just means ready-to-go lunches for me :)
- 2 pounds of sweet potato, cut into 1” pieces and microwaved in a bowl on high for 6.5 minutes to start the cooking process
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1 cup 2% milk (or skim, or whole)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cups kale, trimmed, washed and torn into small pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, for garnish
- Shredded coconut, for garnish
- Prepare sweet potatoes in microwave.
- Heat a large pot on medium high. Spray with cooking spray and add potatoes, cooking until they begin to brown. Stir in garlic.
- Add coconut milk, milk, masala, salt, pepper and flakes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mash potatoes with potato masher or puree with immersion blender.
- Add raisins, kale and vanilla and cover. Allow to cook for 8-10 more minutes, until kale is bright green.
- Portion into bowls and garnish with 1 tbsp each peanuts and coconut.
Recipe courtesy of Kath Eats