Monday, January 18, 2010

Slow Cooker French Beef Sandwiches

Be still my heart…these are mouth watering, oh so good! I used a pound of frozen beef stew meat from my CSA, Brinkley Farms, and placed them on toasted sunflower seed rolls from Ninth Street Bakery. The meat was super tender, the rolls a bit crispy yet still tender inside, the cheese was melted perfectly (a bit stringy as I ate), and the au jus…took this sandwich over the top!!

foodblog 013

  • 1-1.5 lbs beef roast (I used stew meat)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 1-ounce packages dry onion soup mix
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 4 large buns or 6 small rolls
  • Swiss, provolone, or mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and rub roast with salt and pepper.

When very hot, carefully place roast in pan and sear on all sides. You're not cooking the meat, you're just browning it quickly on all sides to add flavor and seal in the juices.

Place in slow cooker and sprinkle with onion soup mixes. Pour water and beef broth over roast.
Cook 8 hours on low or cook 4 hours on high. You ‘ll know it's done when you put a fork in it and the meat just falls apart. When meat is ready, shred with a fork.

Place meat in crusty rolls. Top with cheese and broil open-faced in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes, until bread is golden and cheese is melted.

Ladle juices into small cups for dipping and enjoy!

foodblog 012

Recipe courtesy of Our Best Bites

Backing up a bit, I started my morning out with Kath’s Classic Whipped Banana Oatmeal. For the last 8-9 months I’ve started my morning with plain yogurt topped with granola…but last week my body stomach started to feel a bit unsettled with it. So I’m switching to hot oatmeal and moving my yogurt combo to my workday lunch spot. BTW, I just read yesterday that January is National Oatmeal Month, how fitting.

foodblog 006

1 comment:

Danko Family said...

Oh my goodness...looks SO yummy! I just had a beef sammich like this the other night at a restaurant..how funny that you made it and then thought of me!