Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Baked Tofu with Hoisin Sauce

I’m glad we’ve gotten two work days over with and that I’m now home in my pj’s ready to relax for the evening. Last night I didn’t get home until 7:30 PM, but that’s only because I was out enjoying my monthly treat for myself. I headed to Cary, NC for a stop at Great Harvest, Trader Joe’s, and lastly a 60-minute massage…ahhhhh!! It was a good solid massage, but not spectacular…there’s always hope for the next time.

Tonight’s dinner was a fun one. I love this method for baked tofu…made it the same way a few months ago. This time I went with a dark, sweet sauce that perfectly coated the whole dish, reminding me of an Asian rice bowl. So good! Tomorrow night is yoga so I will be packing leftovers of this to enjoy for dinner tomorrow night as well.

foodblog 007

  • 1-pound block of extra-firm tofu
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1-inch chunk of fresh ginger
  • 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil

Rinse the tofu, then cut crosswise into 6 slices, halved each slice again. Put slices between several layers of paper towels and let drain while making the sauce. (You’ll likely have to replace the paper towels at least once.)

foodblog 005

Generously film the bottom of a baking sheet with oil. Toss the tofu with half of the sauce mixture. Place on the greased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, turning once.

foodblog 010

Serve with rice and broccoli, pouring sauce over all.

My sweet treat for today was a Local Yogurt small plain frozen yogurt. I went fruit crazy too, this was topped with bananas, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and…pepitas!!

foodblog 004

1 comment:

pen said...

That yogurt looks so delish! I don't think Local Yogurt was open when I was in Durham (I left in Aug 08). I would have wasted all of my student loan money on yogurt if it had been...I just frequented locopops almost everyday. :)