Sunday, February 14, 2010

King Cake

I love the week leading up to Mardi Gras…so many reasons to celebrate: Fat Tuesday, Pancake Day, Red Beans & Rice, Jambalaya, and King Cakes our some of my absolute favorites. A few years ago I tried my hand at making my own King Cake and I found it to be quite easy to master and so much better than anything store bought. So I planned ahead this year, since for me this is a weekend project, and made to take into work and share with my coworkers.

foodblog 028

Here’s a photo recap of the process:

Dough made and after the 1st knead, ready for the 1 hour rise

foodblog 017

After the dough has doubled

foodblog 018

Kneaded a bit more, cut into thirds, and rolled into 24in long strips

foodblog 019

Braided and ready for the 2nd rise

foodblog 020

2nd rise

foodblog 023

Baked and cooling – gorgeous, you wouldn’t believe how good this made the house smell.

foodblog 024

Coated with glaze (made a cream cheese frosting)

foodblog 026

Sprinkled with sugars

foodblog 022

foodblog 030

foodblog 031

Packaged up for delivery…this was very satisfying to make and produced a sweet, tender, almost flakey dough.

foodblog 033

4 comments:

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) said...

Mmmmm!! I love braided bread. Something about the layers :) That looks fabulous Jessica!

kitchen table said...

Braided bread is something I want to try. This looks so great! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Is King Cake really just braided bread? This looks more like Challah than the King Cakes I've had recently, but yummy nonetheless.

Jessica @ JJsVinBlanc said...

I highly prefer this to the store bought versions - it is very similar to challah. Don't know much else about it other than it was good enough to air on Martha Stewart Show.