Tuesday, February 9, 2010

So Easy: Tri-Color Pepper Steak

It’s been a busy start to our week. This may sound strange, as I know many dread to have to come home and cook, but I find that it’s something I count on. No matter what’s going on in my life, I can come home to my kitchen and create whatever I want. Every weekend I have taken the time to carefully plan my menus and purchase the groceries. I can count on the fact that my kitchen appliances and gadgets will work properly and be found clean in their proper place...thus I can come home and be in my own zone. I also have the creative freedom to choose to adapt the flavors/ingredients of a recipe or not, shorten a cooking method or not...but in the end I can always rely on the fact that I will walk out of the kitchen with a well-balanced and delicious meal. I like that a lot - it's a source of comfort and peace in my life that can sometimes be chaotic, stressful, and overwhelming.

Tonight’s meal was another Ellie Krieger recipe, quite good too.

foodblog 013

  • 4 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1 ¼ pounds top round, London broil, or flank steak, thinly sliced
  • 5 large assorted bell peppers (a mix of red, yellow, and green; 2 pounds total)
  • 1 large onion, sliced into half-moons (about 3 cups)
  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
  • 3/4 cup dry red wine
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
  • 3 cups cooked rice


1. Heat 2 tsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer meat with its juices to a plate.

foodblog 004

2. Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking until peppers are softened and onions are translucent, about 5 minutes more.

foodblog 011

3. Return beef and juices to skillet and add broth, wine, soy sauce, and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid has been reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in dissolved cornstarch and cook until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Serve over rice.

Recipe courtesy of Ellie Krieger

1 comment:

Christy said...

Hi! I just want to say, " Coincidently, our dinner was the same dish from the book, "So Easy." My kids loved this recipe and they cleaned their dishes like a dog!

I love this book " so easy," because there are very easy "even I can do" recipes a lot included. Especially, busy lady like you and me, this book is a bible!