Sunday, February 21, 2010

Slow Cooker Spicy African Peanut Stew

While I was out playing and having an awesome time with Kate and her super cute 3 yr old twin boys…this flavorful stew was slow cooking away. It was such a fun afternoon, that couldn’t have gone more perfectly. I even got to run into our good friend Kristin with sweet, little Ellie.

I meant to top the stew with a dollop of Greek yogurt, splash of hot sauce, and a few crunchy peanuts...but it was super delicious regardless. After walking around for several hours, I was quite hungry when I came home and this was just the thing to hit the spot. So glad I was able to walk right into a ready made meal.

foodblog 068

  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 sweet potato, cubed (about 1 c. total)
  • 1 1/2 t. curry powder
  • 1/2-3/4 t. garam masala
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 1 T. minced ginger
  • 2 t. minced garlic
  • 1 T. honey
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, in juice
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 2 c. vegetable or chicken stock
  • 2 T. natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 c. red lentils, drained and rinsed (can substitute quinoa, if desired)
  • Optional garnishes: cilantro, chopped peanuts, sour cream or plain yogurt

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and turn to high for about an hour. This gets your crock pot good and going, then switch it to low for the next several hours.

Recipe courtesy of Peas and Thank You

After lunch on the patio at Parker & Otis, the four of us headed to the Museum of Life + Science for a beautiful 65 degree afternoon outdoors. I just can't get over how lovely the weather was.

Dino Exhibit

foodblog 025

foodblog 033

foodblog 031

Butterfly Conservatory

foodblog 048

foodblog 047

Farmyard (w/ the cutest little piglet)

foodblog 057

foodblog 060

Earlier this afternoon, back at the ranch…I found a beagle (Finley) growing in my vegetable garden.

foodblog 019

They loved being outdoors this afternoon and taking a short walk to catch-up on all the new smells. I agree with Wilson, bring on spring!!

foodblog 020

1 comment:

Lele said...

I need that stew in my life! Those are all my favorite things! Fire roasted tomatoes are such a great ingredient for when, like me, you miss summer grilling!