Sunday, March 7, 2010

Having a "Grand America"n Stay

Though I stayed up until 11 PM MST, I was still awake this morning at 4 AM (or 6 AM EST). I told myself to go back to sleep and was able to sleep for another hour. It's not so bad since I'm a morning person, but it's making for a long day, which isn't a bad thing either since we woke up to another gorgeous day.

We headed downstairs for breakfast at 8 AM, I had originally wanted to go find a cafe somewhere but this morning as I was spending some time online planning out our day I realized that our hotel restaurant, the Garden Cafe, really is amazing and there's no other place I'd rather be eating.

Banana Brule Irish Oatmeal with fresh mixed berries

Andy had the two organic eggs (over easy) with chicken apple sausage and pan roasted fingerling potatoes.


On our way back upstairs we were happy to see more of the refreshing citrus waters we've been enjoying - yesterday was lemon water and today's is orange.
Here's also the plates of cookies that I mentioned...

Once back in our room we were excited to see that the final UK game of the regular season would be aired here at 10 AM...a bit early for sports I thought...but Andy didn't see any problems with it. Next up was lunch and since they were serving brunch downstairs, we opted for room service with salad and sandwiches.

Andy selected The Grand Club Sandwich: Roasted Turkey Breast, Apple Wood Smoked Bacon, Tomato and Avocado Mayonnaise on Sourdough, Battered Fries.

I chose the House Salad - Assorted Mixed Green, Pesto Croutons, Slow Roasted Tomato, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, Shaved Red Onion, Crumbled Maytag Bleu Cheese with Choice of Dressing. Along with a couple bites of Andy's club and some fries.

Fully charged we headed out on a 2 mile excursion to the Historic Temple Square.

There was quite the Mormon establishment…and it freaked me out just a little bit. Andy’s typically funny jokes just didn’t feel right to me as we were walking on their “sacred” grounds.
This was inside the temple square too - love how the mountains reach right up into the clouds.


Andy tried his hardest to take this baby tree back with us...but gave up on it in the end ;p
On the way back Andy wanted to try out the free transit so that he would be familiar with it later in the week during his conference. We found it really easy to use and fun to ride on.

We’re resting now (Andy's gotten a 30 minute jump start on napping as I blogged). I can’t wait for another nice meal in our hotel restaurant and then I think I’ll end the evening by watching the Oscar’s.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So jealous! Have fun!!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full said...

Beautiful food! Beautiful mountains! Looks like you guys are having fun! Can't wait to get out there :)