Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Slow Cooker Corn & Green Chili Chowder

I'm not feeling so hot right now, I had a cavity filled today and it has really taken a toll on me this afternoon. Now that the numbness has worn off it really hurts and is also making me feel mentally drained. It doesn't help that I didn't get a full nights sleep either last night. Andy brought me two Tylenol pills when he came home (why didn't I think of that?), so I'm hoping they kick in soon and I start to get some relief.

Thank goodness I has a nice tender soup already cooking away for me today. I didn't really plan for this to workout so perfectly, but I am so thankful it did. I found the soup to be a nice blend of textures and balance of flavors.

foodblog 001

  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned
  • 1 (7 ounce) can green chiles, drained
  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 large onion, minced
  • pinch of cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pinch of cayenne

Add later:

  • 2-3 cups fresh baby spinach, optional

Pour broth and flour into a slow cooker. Whisk with wire whisk until smooth. Add all ingredients except creamed corn and half and half. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.

Add spinach, and cook just until warmed through, about fifteen minutes on low. Garnish soup with croutons, cilantro, or green onions and lots of freshly ground pepper.

Recipe courtesy of Prudence Pennywise

1 comment:

Miranda said...

mmmh...This looks delish.
Corn chowder is one of my all time favorites soups!!