Monday, March 8, 2010

So Long, Farewell SLC

Sunday night Andy practiced his MEA presentation with me, he did a great job and I found it quite interesting but I couldn't repeat a word he said...something calcium channels, bursts, assays...that's about all I can remember now.

Though we weren't very hungry, we headed downstairs to dinner at about 6:30 PM (MST) with a plan to split an appetizer and entree. Once there...we each got a glass of chardonnay and our own entrees...not quite the original plan but still works. The appetizers all sounded wonderful, but too salty to us (lots of dishes that had olive tapanades, which we love, but are both feeling a little dehydrated still).
We stopped for a quick photo together in the hotel lobby. Then we were quickly seated and served some crusty bread, along with a glass of chardonnay that we each requested.

Andy chose the Classic Fish and Chips - Lightly Battered Fresh Halibut, Tartar Sauce, Battered Fries and Mixed Greens.

I went with the Utah Honey and Maple Glazed Cedar Plank Salmon, Seasonal Vegetables and Smoked Tomato Butter, Beehive Cheddar, Smoked Bacon and Scallion Potato Cake - twas pretty fabulous!
We then headed up to our room to watch the Oscar's and enjoy a couple chocolates.

Monday

We awoke to a foggy morning, I could barely make out the mountains. It's supposed to be a lovely partly cloudy 50 degree day though.
After twittering with @sltayls I was encouraged to go big and get the Grand America Mountain Huckleberry Pancakes! I love pancakes and rarely indulge in them, so why not!? I also opted for room service since Andy was headed out early to his conference. The pancakes were scrumptious, they were so light and fluffy almost souffle like.

Loved the mountain huckleberries...
After breakfast I headed to the hotel's fitness and spa center - which was gorgeous!! Made me feel a little heartbroken that I have to leave tomorrow, I don't want to go yet! I did 50 minutes on the elliptical (loved the personal TV and headphones they offered) and then 10 minutes on the weight machines.
Once I was finished I toured the pool and some of the spa area (they also have a beauty salon, facials, massages, etc.) It was unbelievable, we made plans to go indulge once Andy got back from the conference.
The ladies room was amazing: vanity stations, changing rooms, mirrored lockers, spa treatment rooms for massages, waiting room, a wet steam sauna, a traditional sauna, and marble showers with this intoxicating sweet scent of organic locally harvested honey shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion. I treated myself to two bottles of the lotion.
Along with the pancakes this morning, I also ordered two slices of whole wheat bread with peanut butter and preserves to take as breakfast on my plane ride home Tuesday morning. Once back in the room I put my sandwich together.

Trail mix and chocolates that I'm also saving for the plane ride.
MISSION CUPCAKE!! I headed outdoors for a short walk to Mini's Cupcakes.

I had looked at the menu online and decided on the following two mini's:

Breakfast at Tiffany's -Madagascar Vanilla Bean Cupcake with Tiffany Blue Crème Cheese Frosting topped with edible gems

PB Fix - Dark Belgium Chocolate Cupcake with Organic Peanut Butter Frosting sprinkled with salty peanuts

I'm a traditional vanilla girl and thought I would like it the best, but this pb one won me over. Returning to the hotel, I toured myself through the court yard before heading upstairs. I also stopped by the business center and printed out my airplane boarding passes.
I was surprised to find Andy back in the room when I returned. We caught up on his day and then headed to the pool/spa area. I was sad to see that several others where in the pool, there were about 5 kids and 4 adults. We stock around for about 25 minutes and then went back to the spa area. I then utilized my very favorite spa perq, the saunas!! I asked about the wet sauna and learned that it was great for clearing out your sinuses. It's basically a hot room that is filled with wet, hot steam. I spent about 5 minutes in it, taking nice deep, opening breaths. Then headed to the traditional sauna for about another 20 mins before enjoying the showers that were provided.
After coming back from the spa, all I wanted to do was lounge in my robe and slippers. Andy agreed so we decided to have dinner brought into the room. I loved the table that was rolled in and even the small touch of a red rose!

The one dish I was not leaving here without trying was the Grand America Macaroni and Three Cheese Utah Beehive Cheddar, Reggiano Layered with Fresh Tomatoes, Hand Pulled Mozzarella and Gratineed with Lobster...holy yum!!! Best mac n cheese I have ever had, the inside was so creamy and gooey.
Andy went with the Cajun Bacon Cheeseburger -The Grandest Salt Lake Certified Angus Beef, with Apple Wood Smoked Bacon, Pepper Jack Cheese and Cajun Mayonnaise, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickle Spear, Battered Fries and Coleslaw

I've had such a fabulous couple of days in SLC, largely due to the Grand America hotel. It was such a treat to come along with Andy during his conference. See you all next time back home in North Carolina.

3 comments:

Megan said...

It looks like you had a fabulous time! I especially adore the Tiffany cupcake :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) said...

Wow you sure had a beautiful weekend! What a hotel!! The last time we were in SLC (well, the only time), it was right after the Olympics. I couldn't get enough of it! The beautiful city with the view of the mountains was breathtaking.

That Bfast at Tiff's cupcake is toooooo cute. Glad you got back safely.

Matt said...

Hey, I notice you visited the hotel gym. Would you mind writing a review at http://www.HotelGymReview.com?

Thanks!